Paint code on 71

Moderator: FORDification

illbill76

Paint code on 71

Post by illbill76 »

So as I am still learning some help would be appreciated. I have a 71, by the VIN manufactured in April. The paint code on it is a B. By the data there’s no B code listed for 71. The B code for is listed for 72 as Wind Blue. The PO said he had it repainted to factory color in the early nineties. So what’s the deal with the B code on a 71? Does this look like the wind blue to you all? I looked at another reference sheet and it looked more like the brook blue metallic.
[image]372[/image]
[image]374[/image]
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Paint code on 71

Post by basketcase0302 »

"illbill76"]So as I am still learning some help would be appreciated. I have a 71, by the VIN manufactured in April. The paint code on it is a B. By the data there’s no B code listed for 71. The B code for is listed for 72 as Wind Blue. The PO said he had it repainted to factory color in the early nineties. So what’s the deal with the B code on a 71? Does this look like the wind blue to you all? I looked at another reference sheet and it looked more like the brook blue metallic.
[image]372[/image]
[image]374[/image]
Love the blue, (and the 71's). I'm guessing you've already seen this paint reference chart, (as you said doesn't have a "B" code)?
I'm still trying to find the section here I haven't accessed in a few years that had the "Ford Salesman brochures" that might answer your question. Maybe Randy or someone else can help you find that if I don't come back to edit with the link. I can say that in all my years of building / driving / restoring the bump era trucks I'm not sure I'd ever seen that color blue-maybe special order? :hmm:

Not listing it here either:

Did the interior code match up from this list and does the frame number match the VIN number?
http://www.fordification.com/tech/VIN71.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

basketcase0302 wrote:
"illbill76"]So as I am still learning some help would be appreciated. I have a 71, by the VIN manufactured in April. The paint code on it is a B. By the data there’s no B code listed for 71. The B code for is listed for 72 as Wind Blue. The PO said he had it repainted to factory color in the early nineties. So what’s the deal with the B code on a 71? Does this look like the wind blue to you all? I looked at another reference sheet and it looked more like the brook blue metallic.
[image]372[/image]
[image]374[/image]
Love the blue, (and the 71's). I'm guessing you've already seen this paint reference chart, (as you said doesn't have a "B" code)?
I'm still trying to find the section here I haven't accessed in a few years that had the "Ford Salesman brochures" that might answer your question. Maybe Randy or someone else can help you find that if I don't come back to edit with the link. I can say that in all my years of building / driving / restoring the bump era trucks I'm not sure I'd ever seen that color blue-maybe special order? :hmm:

Not listing it here either:

Did the interior code match up from this list and does the frame number match the VIN number?
http://www.fordification.com/tech/VIN71.htm
I believe you would find your answer here in the salesman brochures somewhere:

https://www.google.com/search?q=1971+Fo ... AA#imgrc=_

Last edit found the following colors on a salesman brochure:
Diamond blue / skyview blue / swiss aqua / and bahama blue.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
illbill76

Post by illbill76 »

I’ve got to study up on it and do some more digging around on the truck. Color code is B and trim is 1_4, which to my understanding is Explorer Blue Styleside. :?
F250bikeguy

Post by F250bikeguy »

I have the same thing on my 71 f250 Code B. Also mine also has the explorer package. I just thought it was a 6 that looked like a B :hmm:
1971 F250 cs
1992 Ranger
2014 SHO
elwood69

Post by elwood69 »

It must have been a '71 thing, because my F-100 is a B also. Have not been able to figure it out either. (yet)
elwood69

Post by elwood69 »

I still haven't found the answer to this question. Has anyone else?
m9452p

Post by m9452p »

Hello illbill76, Just saw your post ref 1971. My 1971 is an F100 Custom w/ Explorer package, paint code is X, Ginger Brown metallic. Couldn't find it on any Ford charts either. I went to the local NAPA store one day and went through their color books. Found X in 1970 book. I'm thinking yours maybe, possibly, could be an Explorer package also ? Just saying, but I think the 1971 Mustang/Maverick "Grabber Blue" was also used on the Explorer. I'm not 100% sure. I also have a 1970 F250 Custom w/ Explorer package. It's a bright green color, memory escapes me right now, I can't remember that paint code, or the name of the color. I'll have to find it in my filings. I did take the glove box door to a PPG store in N.Richland Hills TX. they were able to find the color codes in some of their older books, and also the mixing recipes for both the 1971 and the 1970. Just some food for thought. m9452p.
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

Explorers were a springtime option with their own colours, the paint suppliers would have put out a midyear bulletin, and that would sometimes be put into the book at the end of the chapter, but no one looks there.
I have no chips for that era, but here are the codes.
DSCF9432.JPG
DSCF9433.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.