'72 F250 Fender bracket...

Moderator: FORDification

UH60L

'72 F250 Fender bracket...

Post by UH60L »

So, not long after getting my '72 F250 Custom 3 years ago, I noticed a rattle/bang when I hit a bump or at highway speeds (60 or above...).

It turned out to be a loose bolt on the driver's side lower fender. I tried tightening it, and the bracket it attaches to... broke off... thus I've been rattling along ever since.

So, I got the bright idea to fix it the other day. After many hours of cussing, spraying lube, 1 broken bolt, 1 broken grille mount tab and 3 broken u-nuts (j-nuts, speed nuts, or whatever they're called...) I finally got the fender off.

So my question is, is there such a thing as buying this lower fender bracket anywhere? Is it better to just fabricate a piece of metal and weld it in?

The whole flat part of the bracket that the u-nut sat on is gone, just the sides are sticking down.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Clint
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: '72 F250 Fender bracket...

Post by cep62 »

It should be easy enough to fab it out of some flat stock.
If you don't have any ,Home Depot or somewhere like it should have a piece.
If you don't have access to a welder you can use some self tappers.
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MAK »

If this is the part you are talking about, mine had broken off on one side too. Just the flat piece the bolt attached to, between the two base legs. I actually still had the piece with the oval hole attached to the fender.
I just welded it back on as seen in the pics. It would have been very easy to make one out of a small piece of flat metal and just drill a hole and use a grinder to make it an oval to allow for some adjustment.
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopi ... 54#p701354
UH60L

Post by UH60L »

Ok, cool. Yeah the flat piece on mine had fallen off.

I’ll make a new piece and drill a hole then oval it a bit...

Thanks