69 bed rust repair options

Moderator: FORDification

prdjr1

69 bed rust repair options

Post by prdjr1 »

I have a 69 f100 short bed tham i'm getting ready for paint-I came accross this rust when media blasting.it looks might it might have been repaired with lead or something at one time.there is a small 2"x2" metal patch piece attached on the underside of this area that is loose and i slightly pryed it away.my question is if you can tell from the pictures if i should cut this area out and patch it or can i get away with some POR15 and fill it.It's really close to the seam and thats where i'm concerned with patching it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: 69 bed rust repair options

Post by MAK »

After going to the trouble or expense to blast the whole bed, I would go ahead and cut it out and weld in a patch. Anything else would eventually trap moisture and rust again IMHO.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

:yt:
ButtaBean

Post by ButtaBean »

MAK wrote:After going to the trouble or expense to blast the whole bed, I would go ahead and cut it out and weld in a patch. Anything else would eventually trap moisture and rust again IMHO.

True story. I agree.
prdjr1

Post by prdjr1 »

removed the bed yesterday-picking up a welder friday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LCarter69

Post by LCarter69 »

I have the same issue, except ive got a small spot behind the seam as well. I'm thinking of putting in a single patch since im smoothing the seam anyway.
prdjr1

Post by prdjr1 »

by smoothing the seam do you mean welding it ?