Inside door bottom seam seal

Moderator: FORDification

stpackard

Inside door bottom seam seal

Post by stpackard »

Hi All,
Sorry if it's already been covered somewhere here. I've read/skimmed all the way from the first page to the 19th so far in body/paint.
I'm going to put the master series rust converter/sealant in the inside bottoms of the doors, and before I do that, how should the corner and bottom seams be prepped? There is surface rust but no rot rust as I've been able to find. Both doors are disassembled. I notice the existing old seam sealant on both front and back inside corners appears to be a quarter round shape, which I'm guessing diverts water from the corners to the weep holes. I'm asking this here specifically instead of a more general auto body forum because it seems as though there're some open places in the corners that could hold water if there were no seam sealant (?).
They're '72 doors.
Thanks for any tips and experience.
Sam
Ranchero50

Re: Inside door bottom seam seal

Post by Ranchero50 »

I don't have a good answer for a sealant but I think next time I mess with mine I'm going to lay a bead of heavy grease in the seam. I'd rather have a little oil weep out on a hot day than rust start working through. Mine were in pretty good shape but have spots starting already.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Inside door bottom seam seal

Post by jzjames »

I replaced my bottom door skins a while back because the bottom corners had rusted through.
When it was all in good order (appearance-wise) I got a can of Blackjack Roofing Tar and smeared it well into the inside bottoms of the doors. I know, ‘ghetto’ right?

Well, all the water that drains into those doors through the window gap - I don’t even have the “fuzzies” on my door glass-
gets drained right out the drain holes on the bottom of the doors. And here in Washington that’s a lot of water!

If you try this fix, you’ve got to be pretty meticulous about pushing that tar into the corners, and along the bottom seam so that it is completely sealed off from all moisture -no gaps- and the drain holes are completely open.

It worked for me.