Drip Rail Sealing

Moderator: FORDification

jimilivz

Drip Rail Sealing

Post by jimilivz »

Trying to track down and eliminate water entry points into my cab. Does anyone know if water can enter the cab if the original compound used on the drip rails shrinks/cracks? I'm not sure of the construction here, or why there is even sealant. I always thought drip rails were spot welded to the cab, and unless there is rust through, there would be no way for water to get into the cab. But I did a test and poured some water on the rails, and it trickles down the A pillar, and works its way down to the floor. No rust either.
68 F250 CS Ranger 390 C6
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Drip Rail Sealing

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Yes it can leak there - the original sealer on mine was so cracked and dried out that it popped right out with a flat head screwdriver. I cleaned all the old seal out and used a scotchbrite pad to scuff it up a little, blew it out good, taped it off and used 3 coats of SEM undercoating to reseal it.......haven't had a leak since....... :thup:

I will try to post a photo for you if I'm in good enough shape today to climb up there - had gallbladder surgery on Sunday and not quite at 100%........... :(
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Felt good enough so I climbed up and got a couple........
IMG_20180214_120051_hdr_kindlephoto-2387887.jpg
This is around the drivers side - I taped it off at the top of the drip rail and just high enough on the roof so you can't see it unless you are standing on something........
IMG_20180214_120105_hdr_kindlephoto-2334158.jpg
I ended it right at the roof seam because I didn't have anything leaking past that point - you could go down further if needed......

This is what I used on it - its pain table if you wanted to paint over it at some point......hope this helps!

https://www.semproducts.com/product/rub ... dercoating
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
jimilivz

Post by jimilivz »

Thanks for taking the pictures! Hope you get better after your surgery.

So, I'm still not sure how water would get into the cab assuming it got past the sealant. Are there holes/openings or would it have to work its way past rust, etc.?
68 F250 CS Ranger 390 C6
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

If you strip out the old caulking, you may find that you’ve got pinholes in your roof. That would surely let water inside the cab and down the A-pillar.

I’ve recommended this stuff before in place of expensive seam sealer, it does the job pretty much just like seam sealer at a fraction of the cost.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gutter+ ... I-q3IzmGfM:

After you clean out your gutter, tape off as said, and fill it up with this stuff, problem solved. :D