body molding fitment issues - repros too short??

Moderator: FORDification

gaertner_jan

body molding fitment issues - repros too short??

Post by gaertner_jan »

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time with my repro body moldings. These are the 1.5" wide for a 1968 F100. The new moldings are from Dennis Carpenter. They look nice but the door pieces are shorter than my originals. I checked with Dennis Carpenter and their manufacturing specs for the door pieces state a length of 39.25 inches (997mm). The ones I have match their spec BUT my originals measure in at 1003mm which is 39.48 inches. Almost a quarter inch longer.Now the problem is that they are a tad short as the door is right now. BUT ideally I need to add some more material to the door skin in order to get the panel gaps nice and tight. The truck we have was either built Monday morning or on a Friday afternoon because the door opening is NOT the same size from left to right side.... The door gap on the drivers side is still way wider than on the passenger side and I'd like to fix it. The "easy" way of doing that usually involves welding a piece of rod on to the door skin. But with moldings that are already a bit short that'll look way stooopid!
Now what?! Any bright ideas???
Am I being too picky??? Does anyone have pictures what their moldings look like on the truck? Can you see door skin anywhere or is it flush?

thanks! J
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: body molding fitment issues - repros too short??

Post by cdnwillyg »

Well the one good thing is you can't see both sides at the same time. :thup: as for the trim, I think that is a problem with repos, they just get them close. If it was me I would just space them the same distance from the edges to give it a centered look. Now I haven't done mine yet but that is my opinion. :2cents: An 1/8" should be hideable!! Good luck, keep us posted!
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy