Exciter Wire?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

AT3-

Exciter Wire?

Post by AT3- »

I just sold a 66 f100 and bought a 76. The 66 was running and everything worked, but the 76 I got has had the wiring harness cut up. Its not charging. I've read that the ext regulator needs a alt light circuit to start charging. This truck has an ammeter, but no light. I've gotta get the exciter circuit to the I terminal so it will turn on the reg. Any ideas on the way to fabricate this circuit from scratch? I've got wire, a bulb & holder, but I don't want to fry the reg.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Exciter Wire?

Post by Nitekruizer »

This diagrams shows the regulator circuit for trucks with an ammeter (top). The "I" terminal isn't used. Image I hope this helps. :)
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
AT3-

Post by AT3- »

Thanks Buddy, I appreciate your help. This truck has been rewired and everything's a mess.

The ammeter has two wires coming from it through the instrument panel, a Red/Orange and a Yellow/Black. These wires go through the firewall to the relay area on the pass right fender, and then aren't hooked to anything.

Theres a White/Black wire that has a fusible link but doesn't go anywhere, one side goes to a plug by the firewall on the back of the passenger side of the engine and the other side ends after the fusible link, by the relay.

When i first started trying to put it back in order I hooked the Red/Green to the I terminal on the reg. It made the regulator smoke so I left the I terminal alone. I've currently got from the Alternator like this,

Battery going to the relay. Field going to F on the reg, and Stator going to S on the reg. The A term on the reg goes to the relay.

I was lucky with the '66 I had before, it was intact, like the last owner just parked it and forgot about it. This '76 has been tinkered with by several owners I think. I'm gonna work on it with your diagram as a guide. Thank you.
Max216

Post by Max216 »

Hello, does anybody know exactly where the exciter wire gets hooked up to on the ignition switch?
I hooked it up to the red wire off the switch, but I'm having the same issue - truck continues to run after I turn the Ign. switch off.
If I put a diode in the exciter wire connection will it take care of this problem?

Also, On this Forum I can't seem to post a new topic. When I go to the FAQ section it states, choose the "New Topic" but with no explanation of where it is located. I searched the home page I don't see any where to post a new topic. I'd appreciate some help if anyone knows.

Thanks!!
Max216

Post by Max216 »

I'm having the same problem on my 65 F100.
So it looks like the exciter wire is wired to the ignition switch accessory terminal, with a bulb looped in the circuit?
Or, does that bulb in the diagram represent the Alternator charging light bulb?

Thanks
Max216

Post by Max216 »

Duck Ryder replied, "go to the proper forum and the new topic button is at the top of the forum, under the title and next to “search this forum”.

If there are subforums (like in engine) it is below the subforums"

Apparently, I'm unable to reply directly from my mail box (no reply button) so I'm posting here, it is the only place that allows me to post.
Question? what does "proper forum" mean? I thought this is the specific (proper) forum for Ford Trucks 67-72? What would be another "proper forum" otherwise?

"proper forum" "sub-forums" ... huh?

Thanx, Paul
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Max216 wrote:Duck Ryder replied, "go to the proper forum and the new topic button is at the top of the forum, under the title and next to “search this forum”.

If there are subforums (like in engine) it is below the subforums"

Apparently, I'm unable to reply directly from my mail box (no reply button) so I'm posting here, it is the only place that allows me to post.
Question? what does "proper forum" mean? I thought this is the specific (proper) forum for Ford Trucks 67-72? What would be another "proper forum" otherwise?

"proper forum" "sub-forums" ... huh?

Thanx, Paul
I feel quite sure you have a “send reply” button in your private message box.

“proper forum” means the category or forum that fits the topic, in this case “Electrical & Wiring”

“subforms means” any other linked forums that show at the top, in this case “FAQs”, “Archives” and “Links”.

BTW, it is considered very bad manners to post the contents of a private message on an open forum.
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 7.26.47 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 7.32.44 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

So does that work for you?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

Max216 wrote:I'm having the same problem on my 65 F100.
So it looks like the exciter wire is wired to the ignition switch accessory terminal, with a bulb looped in the circuit?
Or, does that bulb in the diagram represent the Alternator charging light bulb?

Thanks
Yes, that is the ALTernator light.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)