Horn relays

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

68FORDJBM
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Horn relays

Post by 68FORDJBM »

How sensitive are horn relays on aftermarket horns? Is there someway they can be damaged? I've been trying to install an aftermarket horn and 2 stopped working after several blasts. Several year later I tried again and can't get the newest to work through the button. I can make it work by jumping the 12 volt wire directly to the horn. So the horn works but not through the relay
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Horn relays

Post by Busboy »

You should check the amperage draw specification of your replacement horns. In theory if it is excessive it could be more than the relay was originally designed for.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

I installed a four-horn system from an early 90s Cadillac (Notes A, C, D, and F) and initially attempted to power all of them through the stock relay and two-wire system - two horns on the left and two horns on the right side. No joy... it sounded like a sick cow. Now it's running two horns off the stock relay and the other left side power wire triggers a separate relay.
68FORDJBM
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 68FORDJBM »

The relay came with the horn. Should there be power to the wire going to the button? I have power everywhere but there. It that is the case then the relay is preventing power from going to my horn button and completing the circuit. It's frustrating because it is such a clean simple wiring job that won't work.
fijidad

Post by fijidad »

I just installed a set of air horns bought at O'Riley's and when I tried to honk the horn....nothing but a click. I replaced the stock relay with an aftermarket one from O'Riley's and now I have no hearing in my left ear! So, relays do go bad. Dan
1971 F250 360 3.73 Gears C6
68FORDJBM
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 68FORDJBM »

but can they short out if there is something amiss in the electrical system. Still trying to find time to trouble shoot my horn. The horn does work but I have to jump the power directly from the battery to the horn. I have no power going to the switch from the relay. My suspicion is that as soon as I go to hit the switch I'm instantly frying the relay. The question is why?
fijidad

Post by fijidad »

68FORDJBM wrote:but can they short out if there is something amiss in the electrical system. Still trying to find time to trouble shoot my horn. The horn does work but I have to jump the power directly from the battery to the horn. I have no power going to the switch from the relay. My suspicion is that as soon as I go to hit the switch I'm instantly frying the relay. The question is why?
Could be many causes...start here....http://fordification.com/tech/schematics_h.htm
1971 F250 360 3.73 Gears C6
Lee

Post by Lee »

68FORDJBM wrote:The relay came with the horn. Should there be power to the wire going to the button? I have power everywhere but there. It that is the case then the relay is preventing power from going to my horn button and completing the circuit. It's frustrating because it is such a clean simple wiring job that won't work.
On a stock Ford horn setup, there is no power going to the contact within the steering wheel. When you push the horn, the horn ring provides a "ground" back to the horn relay thus energizing the relay which sends 12v to the horn.

Lee