3G Conversion

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

SeapineF37

Re: 3G Conversion

Post by SeapineF37 »

looks great and very helpful in my planning / electrical sorting. what size fuse did you use on the main cab power line?
your posts are always helpful and appreciated. thanks and cheers!
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

SeapineF37 wrote:looks great and very helpful in my planning / electrical sorting. what size fuse did you use on the main cab power line?
your posts are always helpful and appreciated. thanks and cheers!
I'm running the 150 fuse that came in the Painless 3G kit.
SeapineF37

Post by SeapineF37 »

sorry, i meant the fused blk/yellow c8 connector wire running power into the cab.
what inline spade fuse size on that main cab power wire...
thx
1972 F350 seapine green cab/chassis drw
only one who has learned much can fully appreciate his own ignorance. louis l'amour
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

SeapineF37 wrote:sorry, i meant the fused blk/yellow c8 connector wire running power into the cab.
what inline spade fuse size on that main cab power wire...
thx
My bad, I misunderstood your question. I'm running a 30 amp fuse for the cab feed.
meandad xlt

Post by meandad xlt »

Bob, I just did the 3g conversion on my '71. followed your instruction and the diagram on our site that says use green/red wire to idiot light. Works very well and charges. Only thing is that the alt/oil lights come on even when ignition is switched to acc. I don't have gauges, just lights.
Remember if you can't be good, be good at it!
1971 F100 Ranger XLT
1933 Ford Pickup (project)
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

meandad xlt wrote:Bob, I just did the 3g conversion on my '71. followed your instruction and the diagram on our site that says use green/red wire to idiot light. Works very well and charges. Only thing is that the alt/oil lights come on even when ignition is switched to acc. I don't have gauges, just lights.
Sorry, just saw this. My truck has gauges, I'm not familiar with the harness for lights. I'll look at the schematic.
ultraranger
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by ultraranger »

meandad xlt wrote:Bob, I just did the 3g conversion on my '71. followed your instruction and the diagram on our site that says use green/red wire to idiot light. Works very well and charges. Only thing is that the alt/oil lights come on even when ignition is switched to acc. I don't have gauges, just lights.
It's normal for the idiot lights to be on when the key is in the ACCY. position. My '69 F100 Ranger has idiot lights and they stay lit as long as my key is turned to ACCY.
Steve

1969 SWB F100 Ranger. 240-6, C-4, 9" N-case 31-spline Traction-Lok w/3.50 gears.

1968 Mustang. My high school car. Owned since 1982.

2003 Azure Blue Mustang Mach1.
meandad xlt

Post by meandad xlt »

Thanks ultra, I never really notice before.
Remember if you can't be good, be good at it!
1971 F100 Ranger XLT
1933 Ford Pickup (project)
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

I know it is late in the game but why not just get the paperformance.com 1G to 3G conversion kit for $34.95? Has the quick connect harness made to fit this conversion and comes with a new regulator made by them. They are direct fit and made for this conversion specifically plus it is cheap. No guessing on the wiring and plug n play.
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

I am going to do this eventually. I had to do a quick replacement of my alternator so I could use the truck. The stock replacement was only $29 so I will just keep it in case I need to go back to stock.
1971 F-250, Wimbeldon White, 360, PB, dealer add-on A/C (A.R.A. brand), 1970 coded interior (23 - Med. blue/Light blue) with 42,000 miles.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

New regulator?
mulletmobile

Post by mulletmobile »

BobbyFord wrote:New regulator?
And maybe "regulator" here is in all reality a "relay" that looks like our "regulator". In essence, you receive a new harness and regulator/relay. It will not really be a regulator as the 3G alternator is externally regulated. It allows the end user to have a stock appearing system with the benefits of a 3G alternator without cutting up your factory harness.

I have not seen it in person, just on the website and found it via another thread on the forum here. Someone mentioned it so I looked into it. I like the look of it. Consider it is plug and play plus one crimped wire with the benefits of looking stock, I think it merits some consideration.

If I get to the point of this, I will do a write-up.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

I used your thread to finish my 3G upgrade. I taped up the extra wire in case I wanted to add a volt gauge later on. Thanks Bobby!

72 f100
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Salty Dog wrote:I used your thread to finish my 3G upgrade. I taped up the extra wire in case I wanted to add a volt gauge later on. Thanks Bobby!

:thup: