Fuel gauge not working

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

003Ryder

Fuel gauge not working

Post by 003Ryder »

Hello! One of the problems on my truck is that the gas gauge does not work I have tried most of the diagnostics I have grounded the wire, traced the wires and made sure they are good, checked all fuses, also kinda looked at the IPVR however the oil pressure gauge works just fine and I think the IPVR does both?? correct me if I'm wrong as I probably am. One thing I have not checked on is the tank selector switch it is the original so that could be and I don't know what else to do if anyone has any thoughts or advice I will gladly read it :D
Thanks! 003Ryder
1972 Ford F-250 Ranger XLT :fr:
Ren

Re: Fuel gauge not working

Post by Ren »

Exact same problem as mine. My problem is the selector switch. I tried cleaning the contacts to no avail. Try pushing the toggle all the way left or right as far as it will go. Then carefully back it with your thumb and index finger back towards the center about 1/32". Hold your breath. Leave it. The gauge should wake up and give you a fuel level reading. Until you hit the next pot-hole.
003Ryder

Post by 003Ryder »

Hey Ren, sorry for the late reply. I have no idea what I did... might be cleaning the contacts or something else I did but it works now :D the gauge tis self is very slow and stiff like. Gonna replace the switch asap.
Thanks for the reply Ren. will tell you when I replace it and see if it improves the speed of the needle.
Ren

Post by Ren »

The problem with replacing a failure prone part with a new failure prone part is self explanatory. It's easy enough to guess the fuel level by listening to the sloshing. And keep a 1/4" X 3 or so foot length of dowel behind the seat to dip in the tank to more accurately guess.
003Ryder

Post by 003Ryder »

Hey Ren, yeah I found a new switch for 25$ but still haven't pulled the trigger yet. About the dowel: Kinda funny, that's exactly what I have been doing got a piece of re bar and that does the trick when the switch doesn't work.

Thanks again for the reply, 003Ryder