Fuel Gauge tech questionGround the sending unit wiring to a good chassis ground (instead of the sending unit housing) an

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Lambo

Fuel Gauge tech questionGround the sending unit wiring to a good chassis ground (instead of the sending unit housing) an

Post by Lambo »

In the fuel tank tank area on this site, when testing for fuel gauge not working, its says this "Ground the sending unit wiring to a good chassis ground (instead of the sending unit housing) and watch the gauge." There are two wires, black and orange, so which wire is to be grounded to chassis ground?
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Fuel Gauge tech questionGround the sending unit wiring to a good chassis ground (instead of the sending unit housing

Post by HIO Silver »

I'd go with the black as the ground... the other is prolly the signal wire to the gauge itself.

Ya could read the schematics provided by Fordification to verify....
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
Lambo

Re: Fuel Gauge tech questionGround the sending unit wiring to a good chassis ground (instead of the sending unit housing

Post by Lambo »

Thanks HIO Silver, I will give that a try.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

You would ground the orange wire which is the one that normally goes to the sending unit. This tells the gauge that the tank is full. If the gauge pegs out to full then the problem is in your sending unit or the ground wire to the sending unit, the black one that screws to the sheet metal.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

OK, thank you for the clarification. I tried that but the gauge did not move. I presume I should be grounding the orange wire while it is disconnected from the sending unit terminal, correct? If so, I may need to try a good chassis ground and try again. I didn't think the ISVP unit on the back of the dash would be bad if the other gauges work, which they do, but maybe that is an incorrect assumption? Thanks for your help.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

Yes, you should ground the orange wire while it is disconnected from the sender. If you have an auxiliary tank switch I would make sure it is in order and to the correct tank sender. You might want to pull the instrument cluster out which is ridiculously easy and check continuity from the orange wire at the gauge (which is the one that goes to the sending unit) to the orange wire at the tank sender. If there is no continuity then you've got some wire tracing to do. There is a separate harness if you have an auxiliary tank that may have become disconnected. :wink:
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

I have the dash out already and never thought about checking the continuity on the wire but will do so. I do have an aux. tank lever, but it is not hooked up that I can see. My truck was converted to a flat bed dually setup a long time ago and has a custom made aux tank with the flat bed. Thanks again.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

Let us know what you find.
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

Well, the gauge is working but don't really know what I did to fix it. The orange wire did have continuity and grounding the orange wire to frame ground did not do anything. I disconnected the wire plug to the aux. tank switch and switched it back and forth several times. Maybe that is what did it. Now on to why the brake light is staying on. Ya gotta love old trucks.