speedo /odometer issues

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

takehikes

speedo /odometer issues

Post by takehikes »

speedo works fine though bouncy a bit. Odometer is not working. I had the instrument cluster out this weekend for other reasons and the inner speedo cable seems odd to me. Came righ tout of the outer and was just the cable. It looked like there was a ballshaped part on the cluster where the speedo screws on. I seem to remember on other vehicles that was part of the outer cable housing but I could be way wrong. Anyone have pictures of this? Or suggestions of why the ODO isnt working?
1968 F100 SWB Flareside, 240-6, 3 speed, 3.70 rear, bone stock and rust free.
Ranchero50

Re: speedo /odometer issues

Post by Ranchero50 »

Speedo drives the odmeter. If the speedo is working the problem is internal to the speedo assy. The speedo cable will slide out of the sheath, makes it easier to lube. If the needle is jumping, the cable is binding inside the sheath. Either reroute the sheath to eliminate tight bends or lube the cable (do both).

The odometer isn't terribly hard to take apart and figure out. You can run the speedo assy with an electric drill to test it out of the truck. You'll just need to make a drive that fits. A couple minute with a 16 penny nail and a file works if memory serves.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
takehikes

Re: speedo /odometer issues

Post by takehikes »

Damn I forgot to lube it while I had it out. I forgot about doing that and I meant to open the ODO and see what was going on too. I was fixing too many things and overlooked these. Looks like I'll take it back apart friday and see what I can do. Still would like to see a picture of the cable end to make sure mine is good.
Thanks!
1968 F100 SWB Flareside, 240-6, 3 speed, 3.70 rear, bone stock and rust free.