Help Ford F100 Ranger not starting

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

johnny55

Help Ford F100 Ranger not starting

Post by johnny55 »

Hey all.
I'm new here in the group and I really need your help.
I have a Ford F100 Ranger 1970 with a V8 390.
I have just changed the alternator. Clumsy as I was, I happened to turn around the battery terminals. .... Yes, yes I know :oops: :oops: . Botch job done.
It hissed and a large white cloud of smoke came across the motor. Now the car was completely dead. Nothing works. It does not start for the key has no resistance. Car light completely dead, all instruments completely dead.
I changed the starting motor relay because I thought it was the one that burned. But Ford is still quite dead. Nothing works. The battery is ok. Alternator is quite new and no burnt cables to the starter motor. Replacing any fuses so that they are whole. But I get nothing to work. Ford is completely dead ...
What could be wrong?
What should I look for to make it work ??
Forgive my bad English but I come from Sweden, is not very good at writing in English.
Please I need your help now
Johnny
DuckRyder

Re: Help Ford F100 Ranger not starting

Post by DuckRyder »

What area of the engine compartment did the white smoke come from? (That is not good obviously)

When you say the ignition switch has no resistance, do you mean electrically or physically?

I would take a look at the voltage regulator and associated fuseable links. It should be mounted on the passenger side radiator support.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Hello Duck Ryder
Thank you for your prompt response. I have been with Ford now for almost two months to find the error. Not every day here in Sweden is winter and freezing temperatures and cold hehe.
I would put the battery back in and it was rainy and dark so I put obviously red cable at + but someone has replaced the red wire to black. And the black cable was apparently a + cable to the battery .. Wrong colors. do you understand what I mean.
It happened when I sat on the ground cable black (which was + cable) and then the red cable that was Earth began hissing like crazy and the smoke seemed to come from staring solinod but not sure because I got really scared and jumped to because I really thought that Ford could burn. But it went on for about a few seconds but it was enough for me. What I mean by ignition is that there is no physical resistance that I can twist it in the ground and nothing happens. it does not release back as when parade. This has not been so before.
I have switched to a new solenoid states but nothing works anyway.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I would look for fuse links blown and take a look at the voltage regulator as well.

The ignition switch sounds very suspect...

Do you have a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM)?

Give me a little while and I will try to take some pictures for you to show what I am speaking of...
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

really nice
I have not examined the voltage regulator But I will try to do that tomorrow it starts to get dark out here and I have no garage.
I hare an a digital volt ohm meter (DVOM) but not so good on that measurement. :lol: :lol:
The strange thing is that I have never had a failure of the ignition just insert the key and start. But now everything is completely dead. Nothing works ....
How is that voltage regulator function ?? Is not too familiar with all that electrical but I will try to learn.
Johnny
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

See this is what happens when your memory starts to go - I was thinking there were fusible links at the voltage regulator but there are not they are around the solenoid.

This is the voltage regulator, I would look at it and the wiring around it. Yours may be not as tall as if it has been replaced the newer ones are solid state.

This is a fusible link at the solenoid (don't pay attention to wire placement here, it is not factory) check for anything that looks like this, this is a wire that burns up like a fuse. You may have to check for voltage with the DVOM on each side of it.
Robert

johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

I will look tomorrow if I really have a fusible link. though I do not think so, but I will look for when I find it.
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Now I've every looked out on the hood of the Ford. Do not really know if I have that kind of fusible link. Ground cable is loose happening right now as it was trapped before the voltage regulator. So now I need more tips on what to do. Will try to unscrew the voltage regulator and see how the look out for. Johnny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I'm going to move this to electrical...

I think you are going to have to break out the DVOM and start checking...

The ignition switch is very suspect but I'd do some checking before replacing it.

BTW, you are missing the horn relay but that should not impact the rest of they system.
Robert

johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Hello again.
Now I'm finally happy we found the error on Ford. There was a cable that has burned.
We made a temporary cable connection to see if it was what was wrong. Yeah, it was this that was the problem. Now it works all the gauges, light and the engine almost went off the battery was now out loaded when it is so cold here, and Ford has been a long time without being started. So when it gets better weather and warmer and we will connect the cables properly so that it is neat and well. Thanks for the tips you gave me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.