Blower motor resistors

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

68fe360

Blower motor resistors

Post by 68fe360 »

At least one of my blower motor resistors is broken. I plan on making new ones to sell due to the extreme difficulty with trying to source new ones. The part of the country I am it is just as difficult to find these trucks in a bone yard to harvest parts from. I don't plan on really making a profit. Just to try and cover material cost, and a few bucks for my time. Bellow is a list of things I need to be able to do this. I have some experience in making these types of resistors to restore vintage electronics that used them.

Any help with gathering this information will help every one who needs to replace these resistors. I would like to collect this information for the different year ranges, and models. I.e. 1968 -1974, F100 - 350, w/ and w/o AC. I will update this post with which ones I still need as I find it. I plan on making two types. The first will be the stock style for those wishing to retain stock equipment. The second style will be made with a modern resistor network that will be more robust, and far less prone to physical breakage.

1.) Resistance value of each coil. Preferably from ones that are not broken. Measuring 2 or more broken pieces is highly error prone. The percentage of veriance inherent in volt meters only compounds this issue. I am assuming the motor on models with AC are different since the motors appear to be physically different sizes. This can have a big impact on the electrical characteristics of the motor.

2.) Picture from each year range, with and with out AC, and possibly the different models (F100, 250, 350, etc) if they are different. This is so I can make sure the mounting plate and pin locations are correct. If they are different measurements of the mounting plate will be of a much greater help.

I have a 1968 F100 with out AC. So I have the mounting plate and pin locations for this one. Resistance values will still be helpful since my coils are badly broken with chunks missing. I will do some part number research to see how many share the same resistor network.

At some point I will do a write up on how to make these resistors, and ware to get the proper wire. I will include tips for customizing your speed ranges. This way those who don't want to buy one can choose to make thier own. It's not that difficult if you take your time, and stick to a few rules.

:woohoo: New project!!

-Will
Gray035

Re: Blower motor resistors

Post by Gray035 »

Have you started making these? I have a resistor in an aftermarket AC that I'd like to change out. It gets too hot!
Here's a pic of what I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 F-250 Camper Special
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Blower motor resistors

Post by sargentrs »

Honestly guys, it's not that hard to find. Virtually any Ford heater resistor from an equivalent year, car or truck, will probably work. They're available from any of the regular vendors, DC, LMC, CG Ford Parts, CJ Pony Parts, etc. I used a '69-'70 Torino heater/AC resistor in my factory under dash. Plug was identical and it even fit the existing mounting holes. Under $20. Now, the one that Gray035 has pictured is from an aftermarket under dash unit so it doesn't fit the criteria, in which case Will has an excellent idea. I would, personally, design one with a universal mount and then adapter plates to fit the various configurations. But OEM Ford used pretty much same resistor across the whole line, car or truck application, at least it seems that way from comparing part numbers of various year/models.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.