What is this wire?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

KulpFarm

What is this wire?

Post by KulpFarm »

Found this wire connected the negative on the starter solenoid. Confuses me since it has an inline fuse. Should this be relocated to positive side?

Wasn't able to upload pic but can be found here:
http://imgur.com/a/mIg2I
pedro69ford

Re: What is this wire?

Post by pedro69ford »

Generally nothing on that side but the starter. Voltage reg,alt,and switch wire on the positive side, could be someone was trying to use that as a relay for an unknown purpose..i would chase it down to see what its feeding because there shouldnt be any current after the starter cycle if im not mistaken..
69Ford
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 69Ford »

Where does that wire go to. I'm suspecting it goes to the coil so the coil has power when the starter is engaged. The brown wire on the starter solenoid is supposed to do this. I'm thinking the solenoid is bad or the brown wire has a broken connection somewhere and the wire is just someone's fix. That's just my opinion to know for sure trace where the wire is going. Or take the wire off and see if the truck fires in the start position of the ignition. Or it could be going to a powered choke setup the problem with this is it will only choke when the starters engaged. These are just theories with out more info. The wire is not stock.
1969 Ford F100 Styleside standard cab 360 C6
pedro69ford

Post by pedro69ford »

69ford has a good point,though it looks like the coil wire at the solenoid is intact,it could very well be that it needed to be spliced, hence the wire we now speak of.i would chase it down to see if it is indeed tied into the coil brown wire..but 69fords suggestion of disconnecting the wire from the solenoid to see if it starts[that is if its currently running] is a good idea.after that i would still inspect the repair to make for certain its satisfactory..good luck..
KulpFarm

Post by KulpFarm »

Disconnect wire (fuse was blown anyway) and truck starts and runs perfectly fine. Still trying to trace where it goes. My choke isn't electric.
I found the wire by mistake trying to figure out why dash lights don't work
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

It's aftermarket, not a Ford fuse holder so I'd remove it and forget it.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
pedro69ford

Post by pedro69ford »

well at least now you can do away with it and move along to your dash lights,i would try to find where it went just for curiosity sake,and disconnect there aswell..good luck on your dash lights,shouldnt be bad to find there,i think they are the light blue with a red stripe,should be some female connectors there aswell depending on the year