Help.....

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

johnny55

Re: Help.....

Post by johnny55 »

Hello Sargentrs
Than is winter and the snow here at home. -4 Degrees but soon will it be warmer and sunny. soon it will work with the car. A question only is this contact that I should measure that goes to the ignition key? I have been thinking of one thing that I forgot to put in a hedge in my fuse holder then I put the battery back in it may be that the shorted ground wire at the terminal of the battery and that it would try to start without a key. I think this phenomenon is very strange that it tried to start without a key in.
1. it may be the ignition switch is bad? Do you have a good drawing / sketch on how will switch all of my cables so that I can get it to work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

You should remove your ignition switch and check it for burnt or melted wires. Wouldn't hurt to go ahead and replace it while you have it out but if ok no need.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

I will now order a new ignition lock from the United States and connect.
Sure, I need well just buy the ignition switch module and not the key lock device? I mean, I may well have the same key in the ignition switch ?? have seen images online that you can buy the ignition key part and lock part
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Correct. You can remove your lock cylinder from your old switch and put it in your new switch.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Now I got the ignition switch. jaaa
Will still be buying a new one has ordered this now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Funny that I have the original keys to the car :P
Do you know where I can buy this ring with texten- ACC-OFF-ON-START. The one sitting on my is the original but I do not know if it is the original text of ?? What do you think. I will buy a new ring or will I have the original. Would any attempt to have as orginalt as usual and this is a F100 Ranger

My car is in working car and there is a car to be run as it is. no exhibition car. I like the car a little rust and driven. Here in Sweden it is very strange climate with rain, snow, sun, cold damp so it takes a beating on my car but it is to live here in Sweden but it feels good anyway :lol:
I have no desire now to buy from eBay for shipping and customs are very expensive to Sweden. Would I be able to buy 5 pcs rings :cry: :cry:
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

-
johnny55 wrote:Do you know where I can buy this ring with texten- ACC-OFF-ON-START.
I believe those were only used on 1957-1966 models and stopped being used from 1967 and up. My truck had the one in your photo and, as far as I know, was all original.

Did the wiring look good at your ignition switch connector?
Randy
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Then I think I still have my original call to the ignition lock. I've looked at the cables during and white as I can see, they look good. but clearly it's an old car but looks ok
The wiring looks good at my ignition switch connector? :lol:
I am now waiting for my new ignition switch that comes in the mail about three days because it feels good to change it when I hooked it out and get a new device.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

From what I can see, everything looks good. When you get your new switch installed, we'll get back to working on it.
Randy
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Hello Sargentrs
Today I'm happy. Jaaaa. I've been out there on the driving V8 today. Now everything works as it should.
I have switched to the new ignition tried to start but then flashed it to the battery. So I thought what is now wrong. But I pounded a little on the starting solenoid and then everything worked as it should. It had probably stuck in one position. So I started and turned off and started and everything works perfectly now. :D :D :D
So I took a trip down to the gas station and filled the tank with fresh gasoline and took a delightful tour of our weather today. So now I'm really happy. Everything works as it should. Tried to pull on a little bit and it got off the car, and the sound was wonderful. Jaaaaa. :woohoo:
Should tomorrow and tape the cables so it looks a little better. :D
Just a question. It seems that the previous owner has removed the kickdown switch on the car. How it looks and how it shall sit on my car. I have tried to look around but find nothing. Should it go from my automatic transmission or how I see this. Something that you know and do. Would any time putting it back so that I have a kickdown ?? This will now be my next work to get it started and how I should do and how it looks. You've really worth much help to me. I'm so thankful. Funny that you share with your amazing skills I really want to learn. Thanks :hd:
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Glad you got her running and that you are getting to enjoy driving now. The kick down is a thin walled pipe rod bent and flattened on the ends with plastic bushings that go over pins on the throttle linkage and the shift linkage on the transmission. Looks like this photo.
Randy
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

It was quite ok with the wiring. Looks a bit better now. :lol:

Well the thing with kickdown I do not understand. I have taken some pictures but I guess I can not post here ?? Could really use some help with it. I think something is missing to my carburetor and strut down to the automatic transmission? Where should I write and ask if kickdown?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Here's some photos of the kickdown rod and it's connections. The 1st is the kickdown rod. It's made of a thin walled pipe flattened on both ends and is about 2-3 feet long and bent in a couple of places. The top end connects to the throttle on the side of the carburetor and the bottom end connects to a lever on the transmission.
Randy
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

Thank you so much for the pictures.

Now I understand that I have no linkage and is missing a few things so that I get worked kickdown. Strange that they have removed it. :?
johnny55

Post by johnny55 »

more