Aftermarket Volt gauge wiring

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

rocketBox

Aftermarket Volt gauge wiring

Post by rocketBox »

Hey everyone - I have a 70 F250 - just finished a modern radio install on the truck, oil pressure gauge and capillary line install, water temp gauge install, and got the gauge cluster lights working to the ignition switched power... only one gauge left to wire in, the volt gauge. My question is where do i wire this thing up to? I have a ground feed that i can connect the negative to, but i'm not sure where the positive wire should be connected to. This may seem like a dumb question given all the other work i've done, but i haven't ever had to wire one of these volt gauges in before. Thanks!
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Aftermarket Volt gauge wiring

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

The hot lead is hooked to a keyed/fused power source - something that is only hot when the key is on. Its been a while since I've done one but if memory serves me correctly I wired it into the 12v lead on the ignition switch.....
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
rocketBox

Post by rocketBox »

huh - that's it? seems easy enough... damn, i should have just spliced the power and ground going to the lights on the gauge and wired it in then. Thanks!
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

rocketBox wrote:i should have just spliced the power and ground going to the lights on the gauge and wired it in then.
You don't want to do that, or you'll only get voltage when the light to the gauges are on. Maybe splice it into the keyed power going to the radio, if it doesn't draw a lot of current, just because that's a fairly easy wire to access.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.