Led switchback bulbs

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

69 F100 Ranger

Led switchback bulbs

Post by 69 F100 Ranger »

Found a set of clear tail lenses for my 69 Ranger and have a set of red/Amber led switchback bulbs but my issue is they come on Amber at flash and with brakes and wondering if anyone else has tried these and found a mod to make it work correctly?? My only thought is to run a wire from front to rear and do some wiring mods at the rear end.
Ranchero50

Re: Led switchback bulbs

Post by Ranchero50 »

I have the red and white switch back for my cargo light acting like a CHMSL and think it sucks in the daytime. It's OK at night but I would not run one for the main lamps.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
69 F100 Ranger

Post by 69 F100 Ranger »

I found they're bright enough for me as I bought the projector style leds, it's just the switch from red to amber when I hit the brake pedal that I want to deal with. Not sure where I'll need to begin the modification in order to do it if it's even possible. How did you modify the cargo lamp to act as a third brake light?
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

It's in my build thread but I think it took the original ground and put the 2nd circuit to it. Then grounded the housing. The problem with our trucks is the brake and turns are the same bulb. On my CHMSL I pulled a hot off the brake pedal and routed it to the cargo light. You could probably do the same thing for the rear lamps and bypass the brake switch for the turn signal ckt. what are you doing for marker lamps out back.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
69 F100 Ranger

Post by 69 F100 Ranger »

Just the stock lights that came with the truck. Took a few years but I found the clear lenses and have both the red/Amber led switchback bulbs and a set of red led projectors also. I'm also contemplating replacing the 1156 socket for the reverse lights and installing a 1157 socket and possibly adding a set of white/Amber led switchbacks as reverse and Amber signals that way and deleting the signal portion on the main lights. I want something different from what would be expected on these trucks.