67 turn signals stopped working...

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Carb

67 turn signals stopped working...

Post by Carb »

So I was driving and noticed the turn signals seemed....slower than usual. After a minute they both stopped working. Strange....

Other than checking the fuse, What are the next logical troubleshooting steps? I have read several forum posts so far but none are quite the same as my problem....Wondering if the symptoms of them slowing down then stopping completely are any clue?

Thanks in advance,

Carb
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 67 turn signals stopped working...

Post by basketcase0302 »

Carb » Wed May 24, 2017 2:21 pm
So I was driving and noticed the turn signals seemed....slower than usual. After a minute they both stopped working. Strange....
Other than checking the fuse, What are the next logical troubleshooting steps? I have read several forum posts so far but none are quite the same as my problem....Wondering if the symptoms of them slowing down then stopping completely are any clue?
Thanks in advance,
Carb
Check your front and rear bulbs and locate the turn signal flasher behind your dash, (could still be clipped into the instrument panel where they came from the factory-but it's usually dangling behind the dash around the steering wheel).
You can see the flasher here in the upper right of this pic:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Carb

Post by Carb »

basketcase0302 wrote:
Carb » Wed May 24, 2017 2:21 pm
Thanks in advance,
Carb
Check your front and rear bulbs and locate the turn signal flasher behind your dash, (could still be clipped into the instrument panel where they came from the factory-but it's usually dangling behind the dash around the steering wheel).
You can see the flasher here in the upper right of this pic:
Thanks, do you mean the flasher itself may be busted?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Yes, all they are is a simple bi-metallic strip with a set of "points" inside that heat up to break the circuit / then cool down to close the circuit.
They wear out pretty frequently, it's also a cheap part if that the issue. :thup:
Jeff
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Carb

Post by Carb »

basketcase0302 wrote:
Yes, all they are is a simple bi-metallic strip with a set of "points" inside that heat up to break the circuit / then cool down to close the circuit.
They wear out pretty frequently, it's also a cheap part if that the issue. :thup:
Thanks! will check. not sure how to though :? I am pretty handy with a voltmeter but just enough to get into trouble.
Charlie67f100

Post by Charlie67f100 »

I agree check this and check you stop light switch on the brake pedal if the brake pedal if that button on the switch ain't getting pushed in far enough to satisfy it. They to can cause a pain with the turn signal went through this with my 67.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Thanks! will check. not sure how to though :? I am pretty handy with a voltmeter but just enough to get into trouble.
Here's the wiring diagram that might help you with following the power on the turn signals. Start at the fuse and go from there but what you've described is common for the flasher being the culprit. I'd throw a new flasher in it, (they are a cheap part that every auto parts store carries) before I spent hours tracing and following the wiring.
Jeff
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4