Alternator Upgrade

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Alternator Upgrade

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

For my 71 4x4 project I am looking to upgrade the alternator. I have shopped around some and talked to a local starter/alternator guy, but I could not find what he was recommending.

I want a single wire alternator (has the internal voltage regulator) that has a higher output. Mounting on the stock brackets is not a requirement for me but that would be easier :hmm: . I have a stock wiring harness/electrical system at the moment.

I have been told that the stock alternators from the dent sides can accommodate my goals, but I want to know what I am getting before I make any purchases. I also understand that some parts are not comparable with our stock systems without wiring/other upgrades. The electrical world is not my strong point. Does anyone have any :2cents: to add or somewhere I can read up on what I am looking for? Anything that anyone else has done similar to this? Thanks in advance!
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Alternator Upgrade

Post by Nitekruizer »

Pretty sure that the alternators from the Dentsides won't have internal regulators. You'd likely have to look at trucks from the mid-late 80's. There were some higher amperage alternators that use the original regulators that would be easier installs. Remember, the output current doesn't flow through the voltage regulator so, a higher amp alternator won't fry the VR. I think that is how I would do it, although it would be a good idea to run a heavier wire between alternator output and battery.

If you want an internal VR type alt, I think there's a sticky at the top of this forum.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Search the site for 3G alternator.

I just converted my truck last month.

VERY easy conversion. Got mine off of a 1995 Mustang with a 3.8L.

You end up with 130 amps.

Lee
Wilfred of Ivanhoe

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

Thanks guys. I will look into this more. Sounds like 3G is popular.
1953 F100 (Waitint for attention)
1969 F100 LWB w/ 72 grille (Daily driver & work truck)
1969 F100 LWB Parts truck
1971 F100 SSWB 4x4 (Current Project)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Actually the wife's)