Is Old wiring a safety issue?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

442tom

Is Old wiring a safety issue?

Post by 442tom »

More than likely I'm over thinking this, but I'm wondering if just the age of the wiring in a '70s or earlier vehicle is a safety issue in general? Is it a fire hazard simply because it's old? I'd appreciate some input.
Ranchero50

Re: Is Old wiring a safety issue?

Post by Ranchero50 »

Not really. On these trucks the wire gauge is pretty thick and the insulation is higher quality. The stuff from the '70's had problems where the insulation would fall off from oil contamination leaving bare wires floating around. About the only weak area for electrical stuff on our trucks is the ignition and headlamp switches along with what Bubba did back in the day.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

Apart from the starter cable, most wires on a vehicle don't carry much current, and, as Ranchero50 said, they have substantial insulation. Abraded wires can short to ground, but the metal won't burn, and though hack jobs may cause frustration, they rarely lead to conflagrations. If old wiring was unsafe, you would have heard about it on sites dedicated to old vehicles, and even in the pre-internet days, reports of spontaneous vehicular combustion would have achieved legendary status. Imagine the dire warnings, tragic tales, and gruesome photographs. Instead, we hear sad stories of shorted connections, blown fuses, dim bulbs and dead batteries.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
Madman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by Madman »

Unless you are adding more modern equipment, such as brighter lights, not really, if it is still sealed up/insulated correctly....I used the painless wiring kit on mine as 1) I did intend to modify to more modern and heavier current draw equipment and 2) I had EVERYTHING torn apart and now was the time....the $900 for the kit is well worth it, in my opinion if you choose that route
""Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet."

2017 Ford Raptor
1970 F250 4x4
1948 Willys CJ2A w/ Ford Flathead V-8
1975 Ford Bronco
442tom

Post by 442tom »

Thanks guys - really appreciate the comments. One final thought; I guess a quick release battery disconnector would at least take care of any potential problem when it's parked.
Nitekruizer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Nitekruizer »

:yt: as previous posters have stated, if the wire insulation isn't all dried out, brittle, cracked and/or peeling, it won't be an issue. Look the wiring over carefully, what you can see of it.

If you're really concerned, worried that rodents may chew your wiring or you park in an attached garage, a battery disconnect may be an idea. I do remove the negative cable when I park for more than 24-48 hours, not that I'm terribly worried about it. If you have an aftermarket stereo with a clock and electronic tuning, it can be a bit of a pita having to reset it every time.
390 FE IN A "BUMP" / 383 WEDGE IN A 2 DOOR C-BODY / 351W IN A FULL-SIZE MERCURY / 194 CHEVY 6 IN A DUECE / 2.4 DOHC CHRYSLER IN A PLASTIC BUBBLE (Driver)