Hard Starting

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

qmcdugan

Hard Starting

Post by qmcdugan »

1970 F-100 Sport Custom. New Battery, and starter. I was told by a my parts guy and frequent helper, to check all connections. The batt to grnd, etc. and not to forget the body grounds. There is one that connects to the front bumper. is that the sort he is referring to? If so are there others and where are they located?
70 F-100 Sport Custom, 84 Camaro SportCoupe
qmcdugan

Re: Hard Starting

Post by qmcdugan »

While checking for the ground cables ( only found the one ) I finished up with my oil change. The first thing I checked was the negative batt cable and and it came off the batt post in my hand. Gosh, I wounder if that was my problem? DAH :oops: The other connections seem to be clean and tight.
On line, I've found some pics of cables going from the block to the firewall and that the negative batt cable is also has a grounding cable that is suppose to go to the body. So I'll chk for those too... It had me a wonderin', what is it this time? :? .
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

By "hard starting", are you referring to poor performance on the engine turning over, or are you referring to the engine cranking, and not firing right away?

The difference is apples and freight trains in diagnostics.

My '67 390 4bbl carter would not start without starting fluid. Replaced the fuel pump, rebuilt the carb, no difference. Replaced the Carter with an Edelbrock and it starts right up. No.Idea.Why.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
qmcdugan

Post by qmcdugan »

Thx for the come back. LMC offers grounding cables, an 8 " and 12 " block to frame cable and (the only cable I found) the body to frame cable. So "two" appears to be all there is. Back to look for the block to frame cable and make sure its good on this 47 year old truck that's seen it's share of modifications.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Put a big ground to the block.
Put some smaller grounds (10ga)to the starter solenoid , frame and rad support.
There should be a good ground (6ga?) from the back of the intake to the fire wall.

Electricity is like water , it flows the path of least resistance.
and one from the back of the box to the frame will help the tail lights. too
WarEagle

Post by WarEagle »

You can't go wrong with an extra ground or two. I have 4 grounding points in my truck. Front body, block, dash and rear bumper.
1972 F100 300 cid straight 6
2009 F150 4.6L Super Crew