Where do I get good spark plug wires?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Where do I get good spark plug wires?

Post by Kurt Combs »

I bought a set from a parts store and they would work, but were not long enough to use the factory supports on my 460 (from a 1977 F150). I would like good quality wires that are either cut to fit or really designed for my engine. Any help appreciated.
Kurt
1972 F-250
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Where do I get good spark plug wires?

Post by cep62 »

I've had good luck with Taylor .

If you're fussy about how they look , I'd suggest getting cut to fit. :2cents:
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Kurt Combs »

I looked at Napa Auto Parts online and the good cut to fit are around $150 and pre-made one $30-40. I like the lower price, but I don't want to waste time bringing them home and then having to return them, did that once already. Just want good wires that reach the plugs and the supports. I guess the best way to do it is to measure mine and compare in the store before purchase.
Kurt
1972 F-250
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

Problem is most store bought wires are fairly generic. Last set of generic wires I bought for my Fairmont's 302 was the same part number for the same year F250 460. That explains why there are a few wires are just a tad too long.

Unless you need some uber high suppression wires 10mm in diameter, any 7-8mm wire set will be fine for your street engine. Just test each wire for correct resistance/ft for your application.

I have used Taylors in the past, I liked their finished construction and the meaty boots were very easy to grab for install/removal. Pretty easy to keep clean and their color choice is nice.

MSD cables were a bit much, they were thick, but also hard to route in tighter spots, don't expect to use factory style wire holders.
-Michael
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I put these on my Fairlane after I switched to a Duraspark ignition. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-72600 I was really impressed with the quality and the length was twice what was needed. I would recommend investing in a good set of crimpers though. I struggled with plug wire crimping before I got these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900399/overview/ Now my wires have that factory rolled crimp look and feel.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.