Temp sending unit not working

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

crazzmc

Temp sending unit not working

Post by crazzmc »

Hi guys,

My temp gauge wasn't working so I jumped my sending unit wire and it worked. Then I figured it was the sensor that was messed up so I got a new sensor. Still doesn't work.

I can't get the sensor in all the way. Well I didn't try that hard. My distributor gets in the way. Anyone know what I should do? There's 2 rows of threads that show.
Figuring out this whole restoring process with my 68' F100.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Temp sending unit not working

Post by basketcase0302 »

crazzmc wrote:Hi guys,

My temp gauge wasn't working so I jumped my sending unit wire and it worked. Then I figured it was the sensor that was messed up so I got a new sensor. Still doesn't work.

I can't get the sensor in all the way. Well I didn't try that hard. My distributor gets in the way. Anyone know what I should do? There's 2 rows of threads that show.
If the gauge is working when you jump / ground it out then the problem has to be in the sensor. make sure it's grounding well. I'd had issues with even teflon tape stopping it from properly grounding and stopping it from working. I'd also test that "new" sensor as there is so...many junk parts hitting the shelf now made outside of America. Test it by boiling some water on the stove lower it into the water for a few seconds then put your ohm meter to it to see it you have continuity. I'd be willing to guess the new sending unit is junk-is it manufactured by Standard Brand?

Edit: Not real sure what engine your working one (put it in your signature and that would help folks-to help you. But...I've never had a dizzy on a Ford engine be in the way of the water temperature sending unit before.
Are you sure your trying to install the sending unit into the correct port?
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
crazzmc

Post by crazzmc »

basketcase0302 wrote:

If the gauge is working when you jump / ground it out then the problem has to be in the sensor. make sure it's grounding well. I'd had issues with even teflon tape stopping it from properly grounding and stopping it from working. I'd also test that "new" sensor as there is so...many junk parts hitting the shelf now made outside of America. Test it by boiling some water on the stove lower it into the water for a few seconds then put your ohm meter to it to see it you have continuity. I'd be willing to guess the new sending unit is junk-is it manufactured by Standard Brand?

Edit: Not real sure what engine your working one (put it in your signature and that would help folks-to help you. But...I've never had a dizzy on a Ford engine be in the way of the water temperature sending unit before.
Hey thanks for your input. So it's a 302 it's got a Summit Intake manifold on it. There was a sending unit in that slot before and me being an idiot didn't drain the coolant before taking it off so yeah definitely coolant there definitely the right hole. Could be a dud though I picked it up at Autozone so can't expect much for $12. Anyway I installed it and it had the liquid dry teflon on it. All I can think of is it's not grounding itself or it's a dud. I have about 2-3 threads sticking out on the top because I just can't push it in any further. It's really hard and my distributor being semi in the way doesn't help.

I'll debug some more and get another one just to make sure it's not a dud. Just had major battery solenoid issues. Spent all day working that out. Haha just absolutely tired.
Figuring out this whole restoring process with my 68' F100.
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

Verify there are proper engine to body ground straps with clean tight connections. Normally there will be a braided strap from the back of the engine to the firewall.
-Michael
farmallmta

Post by farmallmta »

basketcase0302 wrote:

Excellent post! I also had the same issue with a brand new oil pressure sending unit. By the way, the easiest way I've found to test the gauges is to remove the leads to the gauges themselves while the cluster is out and set the coil terminals of a 6V lantern battery against each gauge's terminals. They're spaced just right for a quick test to determine if your gauge needles move: if the needle moves, the gauges are good. I take the opportunity of having the gauge cluster out to replace burned out lightbulbs, clean the cluster up, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.