brake light passenger side only

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

56 Aero

brake light passenger side only

Post by 56 Aero »

I thought this was going to be a simple bulb replacement, however the bulb was fine. So I get the volt meter out to see where the power was stopping. I have power to the tail light assembly. As soon as I install the bulb I lose power, pull the bulb and the power comes back..I ran a ground straight from the battery to the fixture, same thing. I read some of the turn signal switch post but didn't see anything about the power issue I'm having. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give. Rick
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: brake light passenger side only

Post by sargentrs »

I've had intermittent tail light issues similar to yours. Turned out to be rust/corrosion in the socket. In particular the grooves where the bulb slides in and locks. I took some steel wool wrapped around a screwdriver and scrubbed until everything was clean, including the contact points at the bottom of the socket. Problem solved.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
56 Aero

Post by 56 Aero »

Ok got home this afternoon and went through it again. All parking lights work. The drivers side front and rear signals work. Passenger front signal works. Passenger side brake light and rear signal does not work. Now the weird part, when I disconnect the light assembly i have power when the brake pedal is pressed and i have power when the signal is switched on. I'm using an analog meter and the needle bounces as the signal flasher clicks. If i touch the wire from the brake light or signal the power stops instantly. When I remove the wire the power returns. I removed the bulb from the light assembly, check and i have power inside the socket for brake and signal install the bulb and I lose power. I tried 3 new bulbs swapped light assemblies and took a light from my utility trailer. Makes no difference. I'm stumped any ideas....HELP
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

I can't say for sure, but because all of those circuits go through the turn signal switch I would consider it as a potential culprit. Mine had some real strange things that reminded me a bit of what you are describing-I drove myself nuts chasing things around with a test light. All the problems went away after I put in a new turn signal switch.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
56 Aero

Post by 56 Aero »

Thanks Fred....I think thats the next step. Still drives me batty when I can't find a problem. Thanks again for the help.
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

You are welcome, and I hope you get to the bottom of it quickly. Electrical problems can be a real pain.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

Mine was doing something similar and it turned out to be a ground issue. The light bucket itself grounds to the bed when screwed to it so I had to sand off a bit of my new paint behind it. After that it worked like a charm. Hope you figure it out.
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle