TURNING ON LIGHTS KILL ELECTRICAL

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

radioactivelarry

TURNING ON LIGHTS KILL ELECTRICAL

Post by radioactivelarry »

Developed this weird problem, when I pull on the light switch the entire electrical system shuts down. The engine quits and nothing electrical works, I mean nothing! When i push the light switch back off everything returns to normal. the engine will start and run. The lights never come on either.
I have checked the charging system and the alternator is putting out and the battery is up to normal. I checked all the fuses the first time it happened when I got stuck in traffic. I wiggled the wires and checked the battery connections and the only thing I did was to pull the battery cables and check and re-tighten the terminals.

Could it bee the light switch itself? I must mention there is no smoke or burning wire smell at all. Anyone ever have this happen to them? I can't drive my truck at night until I figure this out.

All helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all..... :P
Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed Lamb.
Ben Franklin.

My Motto: I wish I had less to do, more time to do it in and got paid more for not getting it done.
:drive:
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: TURNING ON LIGHTS KILL ELECTRICAL

Post by basketcase0302 »

"radioactivelarry"]Developed this weird problem, when I pull on the light switch the entire electrical system shuts down. The engine quits and nothing electrical works, I mean nothing! When i push the light switch back off everything returns to normal. the engine will start and run. The lights never come on either.
I have checked the charging system and the alternator is putting out and the battery is up to normal. I checked all the fuses the first time it happened when I got stuck in traffic. I wiggled the wires and checked the battery connections and the only thing I did was to pull the battery cables and check and re-tighten the terminals.

Could it bee the light switch itself? I must mention there is no smoke or burning wire smell at all. Anyone ever have this happen to them? I can't drive my truck at night until I figure this out.

All helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all..... :P

More than likely the switch causing a "dead short" / direct ground. Try unplugging the headlight switch wiring harness, (once you've unhooked the battery) then drive or run the truck for awhile to see if it duplicates itself but I 2nd the switch itself being the culprit here. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

I'll 3rd the light switch, the older they are they weirder stuff they do.
Although I am impressed by its ability to kill the whole electrical system.
May want to check your ignition switch contacts have not been damaged by an excessive amp draw.
-Michael
radioactivelarry

The switch sounds plausible, I was also thinking the voltage regulator could be bad also, however I never had a fluctuation with the lights going bright or dim.

I installed a all new ignition switch/key about 16 months ago but I will check it also. I don't have an AMP gauge so I can't see a short draw. Probably should install one now when I replace the light switch. luckily the switch is still available.

Thanks for all the suggestions.....Will post the outcome....
Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed Lamb.
Ben Franklin.

My Motto: I wish I had less to do, more time to do it in and got paid more for not getting it done.
radioactivelarry

UPDATE TURNING ON LIGHTS KILL ELECTRICAL

Turns out the positive battery cable was bad and also corroded (rusty) at the terminal where it connects to the solenoid. Replaced all 3 cables, cleaned all connections and I'm in business. just for the heck of it I installed a new "MADE IN USA" battery that is made in Pennsylvania with new lead. Lots of cranking amps and the the big 390 spins right over! Now I'm a happy camper and "back on the road again".....

Installed a three gauge set with a volt meter. Lots of volts and oil pressure is over 60 lbs and water temp running at 195, just where the FE engines like to be...

Now I'm installing my new Holley 600 CFM carb and four barrel intake along with headman Headers and Flowmaster exhaust. It already has a cam so now I will unleash it's potential. Gonna tow my boat with no problem.... :)

Thanks for all the comments.
Ben Franklin.

Lee

Post by Lee »

Thanks for the follow up!!!!!
72_Ranger_Theo

Post by 72_Ranger_Theo »

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Turned on the headlights, the engine shut off. I just happened to be at a mechanic friend's house and he took a good look at it. He said, "your batter cables are corroded." Now, mind you, they weren't outwardly very bad. No massive green meringue. But inside they were corroded. So, just today I got new cables from O'Reilly's. Took the old ones off, no problem. But when I tried to put the 48" black negative cable on the engine, I realized the bolt was way too big for the end. So I put the old ones back on. Called my mechanic friend, and he said he could fix a metal plate with a big hole for the big bolt to go in, and a smaller hole for the cable end to go through. He's done it before and it works fine, he said.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

72_Ranger_Theo wrote:Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Turned on the headlights, the engine shut off. I just happened to be at a mechanic friend's house and he took a good look at it. He said, "your batter cables are corroded." Now, mind you, they weren't outwardly very bad. No massive green meringue. But inside they were corroded. So, just today I got new cables from O'Reilly's. Took the old ones off, no problem. But when I tried to put the 48" black negative cable on the engine, I realized the bolt was way too big for the end. So I put the old ones back on. Called my mechanic friend, and he said he could fix a metal plate with a big hole for the big bolt to go in, and a smaller hole for the cable end to go through. He's done it before and it works fine, he said.
Yeah that'll work or you can go the easy route and just get the proper terminal end cheaply which takes about two minutes to replace: :wink:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-LOT-4-AWG-Ri ... 0005.m1851
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4