Painless rewire time soon!

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Painless rewire time soon!

Post by cdnwillyg »

I am about to start and complete the kit wiring on my truck. All is laid out to where they need to go or at least close. Is there anything I should be warned about before I start connection the wires to devices? :doh: Any particular order and any testing done as I go?
Please feel free to comment?
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Painless rewire time soon!

Post by sargentrs »

When I get to that point, I'm using an EZ Wiring harness for mine. My intent is to deal with categories of circuits. First would be to wire the ignition system to start/run the engine. Then the charging system. Then the exterior lights, turn signals, etc. Then the interior lights. Then the gauges, etc. Making sure I complete a circuit before moving on to the next category. That will make it easier to troubleshoot if something doesn't work. As I complete and verify a circuit is functional, wrap the wires, install holding clips, etc. The biggest headache to watch out for will be those circuits that go through the firewall or cab floor. It would be a real pain to get it installed and then have to disconnect everything because you forgot to install a grommet first. :cuss:
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

The only thing I can warn about. Is the wiring kits. Are not the same color codes as the wiring diagrams. So you will need to pay attention to what goes to what. There are so many people come here asking for help. Because of the color differences to the diagrams.
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Good input thank you.
Going to throw the seat in just so I have a place to sit and do the dash wiring. :lol:
71mishmash

Post by 71mishmash »

Food for thought, has anyone looked at the Complete harness assembly from (national Parts Direct (NPD); 67-72 pn 14000-67A ? Price is 759 for reg cab.
It looks like it has features that accommodate the old setup (connectors etc) and provisions for newer items and new style ATO fuses.
Don't think it'll work for a concourse resto but I've been eyeing it for my 250 as I am starting to see gremlins showing up, like my tail and dash lights coming on when I open the door.
I mention it as it looks like it is modular in that some parts are simple plugs and might make the process easier. I've not attempted this so I thought I'd mention it not sure if it will help.
Eric46

Post by Eric46 »

I installed a Painless harness in my 70 Mustang and am installing one in my 70 F-250 4x4. The process is pretty straight forward as the supplied instructions are step by step with pictures. The tech support was excellent if you have questions. Be sure to check your grounds as the Painless Harness has more than the OE harness. When you get to the testing phase, a trickle charger will provide enough power to check the circuits and lights without shorting/burning something out. Using the Classic Braid or Power Braid will give you a very finished look as well as provide some protection from chaffing. Would recommend replacing the light switch and high beam switch if you've had lighting gremlins.

Eric
1970 F-250 4x4
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Thanks guy's. :thup: I have gone thru all that the PO had done and realized that this kit comes with all new switches so that was nice. :D I will start with each circuit and test as I go to minimize troubleshooting for issues. :hmm: I believe that the original wiring was just taped wrapped but will use a plastic wire cover for all that runs down the frame and were I can't make the wrapped stuff look good.
WarEagle

Post by WarEagle »

Also decide where you want to run the wires. I tried to keep them grouped so I could wrap them together later. You don't want a stray wire here and there, it'll look sloppy. You might even want to run some of them behind panels (inner fender for one) so they don't show. My :2cents:
1972 F100 300 cid straight 6
2009 F150 4.6L Super Crew