Reverse lights

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

tyler67f100

Reverse lights

Post by tyler67f100 »

I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong with them. The bulbs are fine along with the wiring, but I can't seem to find the Neutral safety switch or the reason why they don't work. I have a 67 f100 that was converted to an automatic way before me, and oddly enough when I hit the brake, the reverse light on the passenger side goes off, any ideas?
Lee

Re: Reverse lights

Post by Lee »

Hi,

See: http://fordification.com/tech/wiring/wi ... tranny.jpg

The Neutral safety switch is mounted on the steering column. Will the truck start? If so, the switch is either by-passed or is working.

See: http://fordification.com/tech/wiring/wi ... ghts02.jpg Is the "back-up Switch" wired correctly?

Lee
tyler67f100

Post by tyler67f100 »

The truck starts, runs, drives. you name it it does it. But when I hit the reverse, the column clicks and goes in reverse. I took the mounting bolts off the column to see if there was a switch with no avail. I will add pictures to this post as well to get some visual aid on it. Thanks for the responses!!
tyler67f100

Post by tyler67f100 »

I think the Neutral safety switch is being bypassed or not even there at all anymore. I can start the truck in any gear I choose. Is that an issue? And if turns out I don't have a switch, where would it go and how would it be wired?
DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

tyler67f100 wrote:I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong with them. The bulbs are fine along with the wiring, but I can't seem to find the Neutral safety switch or the reason why they don't work. I have a 67 f100 that was converted to an automatic way before me, and oddly enough when I hit the brake, the reverse light on the passenger side goes off, any ideas?
Sounds to me like someone has mixed up the brake light wiring with the reverse lights.
First order of business is to find your Reverse Switch. Ford put it on the column in early years, then moved it to the transmission later on - check both places. If the transmission was changed out, there's no telling (but if you want those lights to work right, you'll have to have one somewhere... even if you have to design it).
Second order of business is to remove the short that's causing the brake signal to turn on the reverse light. It could be a wire plugged into the wrong spot on a connector or something else.
Once you've done that, make sure there are no other shorts between the brake wiring and the reverse wiring.
I get +12VDC coming from the fuse block, through a connector or two, then to the Reverse Switch. From the Switch, it goes through a connector or two more, heads towards the back of the truck and applies power to the Left Rear Reverse light, then it goes over to the Right Rear Reverse light.
After you get that stuff straightened out, double check your brake wiring for correct operation.