Tail light and steering column wiring problems

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Anewsome83

Tail light and steering column wiring problems

Post by Anewsome83 »

Ok I'm finishing up swapping a 71 body onto a 74 chassis. I also used the 74 steering column to keep the power steering gearbox. I left the 74 rear harness in. Can I tie this in to the 71 harness going into the firewall? If so what colors go to what?

The 71 has
1brown, 1 black-red stripe, 1 yellow-black stripe and 1 then

The rear harness coming in has 1 green, 1 green-orange stripe, I green-red stripe, 1 black-red stripe, 1 yellow-black stripe.

I have not been able to find a diagram with the 71 steering column wiring.
I have 7 wires coming from the old column harness and 10 wires coming from the 74 column.

74 is white-red stripe, blue- black stripe, green,
Red-black stripe, yellow-black stripe, Lt blue, blue-yellow stripe, and green-white stripe.

71 is dark blue, green-white stripe, green, blue-yellow stripe, yellow-black stripe, white-blue stripe, red-black stripe.

I was hoping someone on here could help me out with this. I'm sure its been done before
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Tail light and steering column wiring problems

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Anewsome83"Ok I'm finishing up swapping a 71 body onto a 74 chassis. I also used the 74 steering column to keep the power steering gearbox. I left the 74 rear harness in. Can I tie this in to the 71 harness going into the firewall? If so what colors go to what?

The 71 has

The rear harness coming in has 1 green, 1 green-orange stripe, I green-red stripe, 1 black-red stripe, 1 yellow-black stripe.

I have 7 wires coming from the old column harness and 10 wires coming from the 74 column.

Red-black stripe, yellow-black stripe, Lt blue, blue-yellow stripe, and green-white stripe.

71 is dark blue, green-white stripe, green, blue-yellow stripe, yellow-black stripe, white-blue stripe, red-black stripe.

I was hoping someone on here could help me out with this. I'm sure its been done before

Stop by the welcome mat when you get a chance and say hi to everyone:
http://www.fordification.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

The difference in the wiring is due to the emergency flasher switch being located in your 74' steering column, (making it have more wires) versus the emergency flasher switch in our 71's being mounted in the dash still.

I've also seen a lot of guys get real close using the wiring diagram for the 72' model:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/wiring_1972master.htm
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

Anewsome83 wrote:Ok I'm finishing up swapping a 71 body onto a 74 chassis. I also used the 74 steering column to keep the power steering gearbox. I left the 74 rear harness in. Can I tie this in to the 71 harness going into the firewall? If so what colors go to what?

The 71 has
The following is taken from a 1970 guide:
Brown = Wire #285 = Headlamp Switch to Parking Lights
Black/Red stripe = Wires #140, 140A = Reverse Lamps
Yellow/Black stripe = Wire #283 = Left Rear Turn Signal
Green = Wire #282 = Right Rear Turn Signal

I can't tell if the '71 and '74 connectors will interoperate, or if you will need to change some wiring. It would be nice if you could just unplug the connectors and plug in the half you want into the half you've got.
Anewsome83 wrote:The rear harness coming in has 1 green, 1 green-orange stripe, I green-red stripe, 1 black-red stripe, 1 yellow-black stripe.

Blue = Wire #44 = Turn Signal Flasher
Green/White stripe = Wire #3 = Left Front Turn Signal
Blue/Yellow stripe = Wire #1 = Horn
White/Blue stripe = Wire #2 = Right Front Turn Signal
Red/Black stripe = Wire #810 = brake lights

In addition:
Wire #2 also connects to Wire #49 (also White/Blue stripe), which sends a signal to the Right Turn indicator in the instrument cluster, and
Wire #3 also connects to Wire #50 (also Green/White stripe), which sends a signal to the Left Turn indicator in the instrument cluster.
These additional wires are on the dash side (not the switch side) of the connector.

At the connector, Wire #1 connects to Wire #1, Wire #2 connects to Wire #2, Wire #3 connects to wire #3, Wire #44 connects to Wire #44, Wire #282 connects to Wire #5 (Green), Wire #283 connects to Wire #9 (Yellow/Black stripe) and Wire #810 connects to Wire #10 (Red/Black stripe).

This is only half of what you need, but I don't have the information for a 1974.

Good luck with your project.
Anewsome83 wrote:I was hoping someone on here could help me out with this. I'm sure its been done before
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"Thipdar"
Anewsome83 wrote:Ok I'm finishing up swapping a 71 body onto a 74 chassis. I also used the 74 steering column to keep the power steering gearbox. I left the 74 rear harness in. Can I tie this in to the 71 harness going into the firewall? If so what colors go to what?
The 71 has
The following is taken from a 1970 guide:
Brown = Wire #285 = Headlamp Switch to Parking Lights
Black/Red stripe = Wires #140, 140A = Reverse Lamps
I can't tell if the '71 and '74 connectors will interoperate, or if you will need to change some wiring. It would be nice if you could just unplug the connectors and plug in the half you want into the half you've got.
Anewsome83 wrote:The rear harness coming in has 1 green, 1 green-orange stripe, I green-red stripe, 1 black-red stripe, 1 yellow-black stripe.
Blue = Wire #44 = Turn Signal Flasher
Green/White stripe = Wire #3 = Left Front Turn Signal
Blue/Yellow stripe = Wire #1 = Horn
White/Blue stripe = Wire #2 = Right Front Turn Signal
Red/Black stripe = Wire #810 = brake lights
In addition:
Wire #2 also connects to Wire #49 (also White/Blue stripe), which sends a signal to the Right Turn indicator in the instrument cluster, and
Wire #3 also connects to Wire #50 (also Green/White stripe), which sends a signal to the Left Turn indicator in the instrument cluster.
These additional wires are on the dash side (not the switch side) of the connector.
At the connector, Wire #1 connects to Wire #1, Wire #2 connects to Wire #2, Wire #3 connects to wire #3, Wire #44 connects to Wire #44, Wire #282 connects to Wire #5 (Green), Wire #283 connects to Wire #9 (Yellow/Black stripe) and Wire #810 connects to Wire #10 (Red/Black stripe).
This is only half of what you need, but I don't have the information for a 1974.
Good luck with your project.
Anewsome83 wrote:I was hoping someone on here could help me out with this. I'm sure its been done before
THE 71' WILL NOT AND IS NOT A "PLUG AND PLAY"-INTO A 74' SWITCH HARNESS! The two harnesses have to be grafted together, (as I documented with pictures on my build). :wink:
Thanks again photobomb... :cuss:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

basketcase0302 wrote:THE 71' WILL NOT AND IS NOT A "PLUG AND PLAY"-INTO A 74' SWITCH HARNESS! The two harnesses have to be grafted together, (as I documented with pictures on my build). :wink:
Thanks again photobomb... :cuss:
Anewsome was talking about the "rear harness" at that point, not the harness from the TSSwitch. It looks like you made the right comment, just in the wrong place...

I still haven't ben able to find the 1974 wiring diagram.