Wiring a f 600 cluster

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

1968f250429

Wiring a f 600 cluster

Post by 1968f250429 »

Hello all, I'm installing a f 600 cluster in my truck I'm using a 72 dash harness, I've got all the colors matched up but the violet resistance wire has me puzzled.

Not sure if it should be by itself or needs to be with another wire? The only open space has nothing on the cluster side of the plug for it to mate with.

From what I see that wire goes to the ignition switch, what is its purpose as I thought the ipvr took care of voltage resistance for the gauges. Any ideas anyone can shed light on I would be greatful. Thanks in advance beau.
MadMike

Re: Wiring a f 600 cluster

Post by MadMike »

The resistance wire is for the ignition system, it does not go through the dash.
The IPVR is the voltage regulator for the dash gauges.

You should be able to follow the (+)ignition coil wire(CT#16 Red w/Green stripe) from the coil through the firewall, it will come to a connection(C2) where it will have a Brown wire(which goes to the 'I' terminal on the starter solenoid) and the resistance wire goes back to the connection(C27) at the ignition switch.
-Michael
1968f250429

Post by 1968f250429 »

Thanks mike, that's what I figured, but I will try to put a picture of it when I get home. This wire definitely went to the cluster plug as that's where I removed it from when I re terminated the ends to work with the other cluster. But I'll re check the diagram also.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

"1968f250429"]Hello all, I'm installing a f 600 cluster in my truck I'm using a 72 dash harness, I've got all the colors matched up but the violet resistance wire has me puzzled.
Not sure if it should be by itself or needs to be with another wire? The only open space has nothing on the cluster side of the plug for it to mate with.
From what I see that wire goes to the ignition switch, what is its purpose as I thought the ipvr took care of voltage resistance for the gauges. Any ideas anyone can shed light on I would be greatful. Thanks in advance beau.
Did your 72' have full gauges or idiot lights? It does show the violet going into the cluster here Mike, (as my 71' had):

I'm guessing you had an amp gauge in your original 72' cluster?
I've got a picture, (no service to host thanks photobomb!) of my F-600 panel graft I did on my 71' that shows me tieing the trucks violet into the F-600 black, (or it might be black with a stripe). Shoot me a pm with an email address if you want the image.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Beau,
This wiring diagram shows the original violet wire, (wire #904 G-R towards the top of this page) on your 72's instrument cluster tieing into your violet resistance wiring at S-6. If the "new" F-600 panel does not have an amperage gauge I believe you will just cap or end the wire.

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4