tail lights wont turn off

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

chadmac

tail lights wont turn off

Post by chadmac »

Hello, new to forum. Recently purchased 71 f100 swb and have done multiple upgrades and alterations. I am having trouble with getting rear taillights to shut off. Here is what i have done to have to do with this system, I have replace the turn signal switch which came from dennis carpenter as well have replaced chassis harness from cab to rear cross overs as well as cross overs from national parts depot. after hooking everything back up and finally figuring our wiring for turn switch plug i have the issue of the rear lights not turning off at all even when ignition is completely off. i have tried plugging in another brake light switch as assumed this was the issue but was not. i have the wire for brake lights from turn signal switch unhooked to not drain battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: tail lights wont turn off

Post by cep62 »

:wel:
Welcome to our site.
You're doing good , most of the time we can't get the lights TO work.

You'll need a test light or volt meter and sort out your work ,
somehow you're feeding power when you shouldn't be.
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

chadmac wrote:Hello, new to forum. Recently purchased 71 f100 swb and have done multiple upgrades and alterations. I am having trouble with getting rear taillights to shut off. Here is what i have done to have to do with this system, I have replace the turn signal switch which came from dennis carpenter as well have replaced chassis harness from cab to rear cross overs as well as cross overs from national parts depot. after hooking everything back up and finally figuring our wiring for turn switch plug i have the issue of the rear lights not turning off at all even when ignition is completely off. i have tried plugging in another brake light switch as assumed this was the issue but was not. i have the wire for brake lights from turn signal switch unhooked to not drain battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The schematic for 1970 should be 'close enough' for what you want to do.

Which does your truck have: a temperture guage, or idiot light?

Also, is it an automatic, or a stick?
Smucci

Post by Smucci »

I just fixed a similar problem on my 72 Ford f100. My issue was the brake pedal was adjusted too far down, and the brake light switch wasn’t being depressed enough to turn off the tail lights. I just adjusted the pedal out some more and it fixed it.
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

That was going to be my guess too. An incorrectly adjusted brake light switch will do it. Mine was out of adjustment the other way and wouldn't turn off the aftermarket cruise control when I braked. That was the day I found out, on a short downhill off-ramp, how hard it was to reach the manual switch on the turn signal lever at 65 mph :eek: :eek:
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.