solenoid? 1970 f100 sport

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Jbonman

solenoid? 1970 f100 sport

Post by Jbonman »

i have a 1970 F100 Custom Sport. It has been working great since I have had it (6 months) until the battery died. I replaced the battery and now the engine won't turn over. It is a slow roll and if I put the gas pedal to the floor it wants to start but never fully turns over. I checked the battery connections to the new battery (they were tight) and I even replaced the clamps. I put a voltmeter to the battery and am getting 13+, i had the starter tested and it is working. I replaced the external solenoid just in case but no luck. Ground connections to the starter and engine are tight. Suggestions on next steps? Any help would be greatly appreciated
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: solenoid? 1970 f100 sport

Post by cep62 »

:wel:
Welcome to our site.

Ground the solenoid with a heavy wire from the mounting bolt to the neg battery post.
then test for voltage at the starter when cranking.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

Cables can corrode internally. You can carefully jump around cable to see if either is bad. Start with negative, then positive.
Thipdar

Post by Thipdar »

bluef250 wrote:Cables can corrode internally. You can carefully jump around cable to see if either is bad. Start with negative, then positive.
Internal corrosion in a cable should cause increased resistance.

Use a VOLTmeter to measure from one end of the cable to the other while the electrical system is on. The correct reading should be zero volts from one of the cable to the other. If there's a difference in voltage, the cable is acting like a resistance wire instead of a cable.

Don't leave the ignition switch on for long, you can burn up your points if the engine's not running.