Body swap to a 4x4

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Body swap to a 4x4

Post by 1971ford »

Ohh ok thanks. I can keep my 2wd, restored core support and my old radiator right? It's just a matter of if i want the bigger radiator or not? Do you think i will run into any cooling problems?
-Ryan
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i haven't yet but i do have a crack in the fan shroud i just put on. it made me mad that it happened. i knwo i have those other straps but i can't find them. it makes me so mad. i have misplced a bunch of stuff this year. or it got stolen or junked somehow. i kind o fdoubt that. but the stolen part could be right. but someone would have to know what to steal to make it harder on me. they didnt take things that were of great valve. those things were left. they stole parts that are hard to come by.
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

1971ford wrote:Ohh ok thanks. I can keep my 2wd, restored core support and my old radiator right? It's just a matter of if i want the bigger radiator or not? Do you think i will run into any cooling problems?
4x4s do not have bigger radiators, just different ones. They have a different core support and radiator for a reason. The one pictured is an optional radiator on a 4x2.
Side oiler FE, see if you can catch me!!!

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
1968 F250 4X2 360/C6/No Rust!
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Whats the difference, what's the reason?
-Ryan
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

yes they are the same size. that is how i was able to use my 2wd straps instead of the 4wd straps.
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

In a 4x4 the engine sits at a steeper angle in the chassis by about 1 degree. Doesn't sound like a bunch, but that is around 3/4" from the fan to the tail of the tranny. The 4x4 core support angles the radiator to match the engine angle better. The 2wd trucks with the supercooling option used the same core support as the 4x4's, but they used a different radiator. The supercool radiator will drop right in a 4x4 though.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

Okay so there are some difference, but I don't NEED to swap the core supports/radiators right? Why does the radiator need to be perfectly matched with the engine angle? Can't i just ship the mounting bolts or fab something up if i really NEED the angles to match?
-Ryan
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

Nobody said you needed to use the 4x4 core support. You don't. The 2wd one works with the 2wd radiator, it's just a dead giveaway the truck was rebodied at some point.
1970 F-250 4x4 original Willock swivel frame chassis '93 5.9 Cummins/Getrag/NP205/HP60/D70
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

That and the fact that the VIN won't match. the registration will say F10Y... when it is clearly a F26Y...Changing VIN plates is illegal and to have it legal you'll have to have an inspection done. If you don't, a cop could check it out and if he finds any discrepancies he will have the vehicle seized.

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

if you get a reciept from the frame owner you can do a builders title. but that can make the truck a 2010 truck on the title and the insurance plus the taxes will go up. a welder grinder and some metal stamps might come in handy for that.
Redcap
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Redcap »

sideoilerfe wrote:That and the fact that the VIN won't match. the registration will say F10Y... when it is clearly a F26Y...Changing VIN plates is illegal and to have it legal you'll have to have an inspection done. If you don't, a cop could check it out and if he finds any discrepancies he will have the vehicle seized.
It is a 40+ year old vehicle. I highly doubt anyone will care.
1971ford
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1971ford »

averagef250 wrote:Nobody said you needed to use the 4x4 core support. You don't. The 2wd one works with the 2wd radiator, it's just a dead giveaway the truck was rebodied at some point.
ok, I'll swap them if the highboy core support isn't rusted out. If not then i will keep mine until i find a decent highboy one to swap in.
The only time someone would notice the incorrect core support would be at a truck show which i don't plan on ever taking the truck to, or a Fordification swap meet but it's not like im keeping this body swap a secret.
sideoilerfe wrote:That and the fact that the VIN won't match. the registration will say F10Y... when it is clearly a F26Y...Changing VIN plates is illegal and to have it legal you'll have to have an inspection done. If you don't, a cop could check it out and if he finds any discrepancies he will have the vehicle seized.
Of course. So taking a VIN plate off of a door to put it on a new door (to get rid of a rusty door or bad dent) is illegal? I have to do that anyways, the VIN plate is in my room and still needs to be put on.
Why would a cop ever pull me over and check my VIN number to make sure im running the original frame? Although it is possible and would get me, it will never happen. I am getting the paperwork for the highboy chassis and i will have it with me just in case a cop feels that there is no way i could have a 4x4 bump and be original.
-Ryan
averagef250
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by averagef250 »

That's crazy talk. I should be in jail for life if a bump body swap is illegal. A VIN is a VIN, it's a stamped plate, a number, that's it. The vehicle is what you represent it as. I just sold a truck, a nice little cabover dump turbodiesel Fuso that I bought just for the dump bed. After using the dumpbed I decided there's no way I could tolerate electric/hydraulic dump and would have to go PTO for my hoist so I sold the truck for what I paid for it before I even had the chance to switch the title. Long story, but the new buyer discovered the VIN plate was missing from the cab. I honestly had no idea, never checked it. The buyer freaked out a week after purchasing it, acting as if the sky was falling and I was selling a stolen vehicle. DMV didn't know the VIN is stamped in the frame apparently. They do now, no issue, it was just a case of dmv ignorance I guess.

I've found the DMV paperwork system works very well for anybody who knows how to use it or how to communicate with the person behind the counter. I have managed to get diesel and emissions exempt on the title of late model vehicles that were never offered with a diesel option without much hassle, moreso by keeping my mouth shut during an inspection than anything else.

Ryan, The core support doesn't matter to you, run whichever you like.
sideoilerfe
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by sideoilerfe »

1971ford wrote: Of course. So taking a VIN plate off of a door to put it on a new door (to get rid of a rusty door or bad dent) is illegal?
Yes. You cannot remove the VIN plate to swap it to another door. If you get pulled over and he checks the registration VIN with the VIN plate (it happens) He'll notice that the rivets are gone and it's been tampered with, that's when all the red flags come up. Been there already just trying to save you trouble.
1971ford wrote:I have to do that anyways, the VIN plate is in my room and still needs to be put on.
You've already removed it, not good. Again, you cannot remove the VIN plate from the vehicle.
1971ford wrote:Why would a cop ever pull me over and check my VIN number to make sure im running the original frame?
That is not the intent of most police officers however, if they see a discrepancy, like the registration saying F100 and seeing 8 lug wheels on the truck or see that the VIN plate has been tampered with, they'll look into it.
1971ford wrote:Although it is possible and would get me, it will never happen. I am getting the paperwork for the highboy chassis and i will have it with me just in case a cop feels that there is no way i could have a 4x4 bump and be original.
Never say never. You will have to get the vehicle inspected by the state and have a state VIN assigned to be legit. Carrying the old paperwork for another vehicle is not good enough. If there's a discrepancy, they'll take it from you. If you want to take the chance and not do so then the choice is yours. Also, there's the insurance as well, If you have an accident and the insurance discovers your truck is a 4x4 when the registration says it is not, they might deny the claim. Choice is yours.

1970 F250 4x4 390/4spd
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

you can reuse your old rivets if you were smart in removign them from the old door. you can also buy those rivets on ebay new. i did it. the inspection guy knew nothing. he had no idea the truck was originally red. it looks blue now.