front hub lube??

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

front hub lube??

Post by eggman918 »

I've owned my HighBoy for over 25 years but recently ~30K miles ago I switched to a D44 open knuckle front axle and the bushings in the factory Spicer lockouts failed on me :(
In my closed knuckle axle I ran gear lube in it and other than the slow drip from the knuckle ball wipers I never had any issues with the front hubs.
I'm thinking about doing the same thing in the open knuckle hubs.......any reason not to :?
I made new knobs to replace the plastic ones from 6061 aluminum and can drill and tap the center of them for a 1/8" pipe plug to allow me to fill them.I'm thinking that between the aluminum bronze bushings which will be much stronger than the OEM ones I will machine some oil groves to facilitate oiling and the wet hub I'll be in good shape.The other variable is I now live in a state that has 75mph interstate speeds so I'm also thinking that a wet hub will help keep the running temp.of that bushing down as well 75mph is ~775rpm on that bushing when hubs are freewheeling
thats not too fast on a 3 1/4" dia. and their is not a lot of load so should be good to go.

What do Y'all think??
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: front hub lube??

Post by eggman918 »

I have an update I ended up needing to replace the wheel bearings and one spindle as well as sleeve the outboard bearing race on one hub :(
Could have been worse.............I also took the down time waiting on parts and material to make new knobs out of 6061 I've been wanting to do this for years but never wanted to have truck apart to take measurements.Took about 5 hours to make a pair....not counting the 3 hours or so I spent grinding form tools and making fixtures...........now I know why Spicer molded them out of plastic they are a PITA to make for what is such a simple part but the ones I made will out last me :wink:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?