Rear axle wrap problems

Questions about 4WDs and related topics

Moderators: FORDification, Doug Comer

Dr Farnsworth

Rear axle wrap problems

Post by Dr Farnsworth »

Ever since I have had this 78 F250 it has been hard to get it moving without it lurching or hopping when the clutch starts engaging.

Someone noticed that my rear axle rotates up quite a bit when I take off and I was able to verify it tonight. I checked and could not find any broken springs or U bolts that were loose or broken.
For some reason there is enough spring flex to let the rear axle twist and cause this problem.
It has a Dana 60 if that makes any difference.
Is this a common issue, and is there a standard fix?

Some kind of traction bar would probably take care of it. But I don't want to go that route if there is a better solution.

1969 F100 ranger (for sale)
1978 F250 Ranger 4X4
1966 F100
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Rear axle wrap problems

Post by cep62 »

Are you sure you're not experiencing clutch chatter ?
that's caused by a glazed flywheel , and sometimes can shake something fierce.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

FWIW that just seems odd to me with as thick as the spring pack is in the rear of an F-250 if there is nothing defective with the springs/shackles. :2cents:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Another vote on a glazed flywheel causing your clutch issues.
And like Steve pointed out very few issues with the springs, (unless thee truck has been used to haul it's entire life and the springs are worn out-or it has a broken leaf hiding in the spring pack). I'd also inspect motor and tranny mounts to make sure they're not broke.
You can add a simple traction bar to the top of the leaf pack, (rather than a ladder type bar that wraps around the axle tube) easily and for a lot less than ladder bars if you went that route. I had a set of these on my EB that I used to launch 3'-4' off the ground that held up well:

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Dr Farnsworth

Post by Dr Farnsworth »

I double checked and it is definitely axle hop/ twist.

Motor mounts seem to be ok. You can watch and hold on to the gear shift when it's "hopping" and it does not move. That is typically a good indication that it's not a bad motor or transmission mount.
I also thought it might be the clutch grabbing or even Z bar linkage slop. I tried taking off in third or fourth gear, revving up the engine and slipping the clutch. The clutch engaged smoothly, so I don't think that's where the problem is.

Ford used cast iron lifting blocks to raise the truck for the 4X4. Those blocks would definitely magnify spring twist.
It's totally baffling to me that an F 250 that was rated to have over 8K GVW would twist like that. Instead of a traction bar I probably should look at new spring packs.
1969 F100 ranger (for sale)
1978 F250 Ranger 4X4
1966 F100
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Or have your OE springs re-arched and have another leaf added which can a lot of times be cheaper and accomplish the same thing-stiffer suspension. I remember those cast iron blocks and had several different variation of them at one point from a 1/2" to 1" wedge to the 3" solid steel blocks.
I can see it eating u-joints if it got worse-nice truck BTW! :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Bill Ramsey
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Bill Ramsey »

I would try some stiffer rear shocks, first.
1968 Highboy
1976 Highboy
1969 F250 Camper Special
1941 Dodge Power Wagon
1930 Model A Coupe (Hotrod)
1962 Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe
VW Sandrails
Honda ATC's
36' Diesel Pusher for roughing it.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Housing rotation is different than leaf wrap.