Electrical Problem...help! =)

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

jason_ray

Electrical Problem...help! =)

Post by jason_ray »

Okay folks,
So today I put in new plugs, a rebuilt starter, solenoid, fuel filter, oil filter and tried to start her up. The problem is that it automatically starts turning over as soon as I connect the battery terminals - Even with the key OUT OF the ignition!!?!? What is the problem here?? I put the new solenoid on one wire at a time, to be sure I wired it up correctly. Do you think it is the ignition switch or what?? Thanks for the input.... FYI, it is the ol' 240 I6 and lots of fun and easy to work on. Just what I need for my first veh ever to work on!! :)
kknip
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Electrical Problem...help! =)

Post by kknip »

Sounds like the ignition switch to me also.They are not to expensive and if it is the original one,you will probably have to replace it sooner or later.Of course,it is possable that the new solenoid is bad.Remove the cable from the starter side of the solenoid,remove your small wires,hook the battery cables up and see if you have power on the starter side of the solenoid.If so,the solenoid is bad.
Soitenly! Oh,a wiseguy!
You knucklehead!
65 Mustang
72 F250 Camper Special
ICEMAN6166
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

that happened to my 64 fairlane last fall,it was a bad solenoid , but could also be caused by a bad ignition switch.
http://fordtruk.com/forums/album.php?ca ... user_id=26

you can ford a river or stream and get to the other side, if you dodge it you will not, and if you drive a chevy to the levee it will run dry and the music will die.
Jake11
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Jake11 »

Try this. Use a screwdriver handle and whack the solenoid as its
turning over. :)
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

did it start and work properly before you did this work?
kid

Re: Electrical Problem...help! =)

Post by kid »

jason_ray wrote:Okay folks,
So today I put in new plugs, a rebuilt starter, solenoid, fuel filter, oil filter and tried to start her up.
Take the cable that goes down to the starter and touch it to the battery posi terminal. It spins we know, stop, now touch it to the solenoid with no wires hooked to it but the battery terminal. Touch it to the starter terminal. If it spins the solenoid is no good.
jason_ray

Post by jason_ray »

Thanks to all of you.... Rewired the starter and gave the solenoid a good rap with the screwdriver and starts fine now.... I thought the fuel pump was bad at first, but now i've narrowed the problem down to the carburator. There is fuel inside the carburator, but it just will not get the gas to the intake somehow. Must be plugged up, and since I don't know much about carburators, I'll probably end up buying a rebuilt one.... But had her running for a few minutes (on some starter fluid) and sounds nice!!! :thup: