tune-up assistance in Denver CO

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

amycyclenut

tune-up assistance in Denver CO

Post by amycyclenut »

A couple of months ago I bought my '67 and since then I've done all the basic stuff, like oil change, new PCV valve, spark plug wires, belt, fuel filter, fresh oil in the oil bath filter and finally installed a new radiator. The truck is running pretty well except that I feel it may be lacking a little bit of power. I realize it's an old truck and it has over 130k miles on it so I'm not really sure how much umph the old girl should have.

The truck was built in Michigan and lived it's life in Nebraska, just on the edge of Colorado. Now, the truck lives in Denver Colorado at 5,000 feet and my first thought in the "lack of umph" was likely a re-jet of the carbs. But I began to think, I have no idea when the truck had last been properly timed and adjusted.

I think I'm a little out of my league as I have absolutely no experience with such procedure on an auto with 4 wheels, and screwing up could mean an un-drivable truck, I am wondering if there's anyone on this forum in the Denver area that might be willing to help me do this right? :help:

I could pay in beer, lunch, personality???

:)
1967 F100 352 3spd w/OD
Crabenho

Re: tune-up assistance in Denver CO

Post by Crabenho »

Hello from a fellow Denver area Bump enthusiast and motorcycle junkie! I thought your name looked familiar. Are we AdvRider neighbors as well?
I haven't been on Fordification that much lately, has anyone offered assistance? I waded into old truck mechanics fairly recently as well. I'm far from a pro but I have made it through the basics of timing, point dwell, etc. After I found my '70 F250 I bought all of the old service manuals and basic diagnostic equipment (timing light, dwell meter, vacuum gauge). I'd be happy to help you out if needed. I'm in Longmont.

Chris
amycyclenut

Post by amycyclenut »

Chris, thanks so much for the offer! I've sent you an email!
1967 F100 352 3spd w/OD
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

That is great. Nothing like helping each other out.
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
amycyclenut

Post by amycyclenut »

I was finally able to check and adjust the timing and boy am I glad I did! Truck was set at pretty much stock 6* BTDC. I set to 12 and WOW, what a difference! That umph or responsiveness I kept feeling I was missing is there now. :woohoo: Very happy that I checked. I don't have a Dwell meter so not able to check that yet.
1967 F100 352 3spd w/OD
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Glad to hear it! Congrats!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.