A/C Compressor bracket for FE - New Design

Private parties only. No eBay/Craigslist listings.

Moderator: FORDification

tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

A/C Compressor bracket for FE - New Design

Post by tylerb43 »

Hey guys, I've been asked by several, so I'm selling a bracket I designed to mount a modern A/C Compressor on my 390. (I never liked the look of the compressor and associated hoses on top, blocking the view of the engine! :) )

This bracket was designed to mount a modern, Sanden 508 style compressor on the passenger side of the engine, below the alternator. This should mount on all FE engines. Your compressor doesn't have to be a Sanden brand, as most modern compressors copy the Sanden 508 dimensions and mounting features. But if you're not using the Sanden 508, the confirmation of the fit is up to you.

Please notice that I'm using a 4-groove crank pulley, if you're using something different, you'll have to figure out your own spacers to make the pulley grooves line up. My front-most groove will be empty, meaning a 3-groove pulley should work, but I'm assuming here because I don't have one.

The bracket is cut with a waterjet out of 3/16" steel. This is a high quality cut with very precise edges.

[image]325[/image] [image]326[/image]

[image]327[/image] [image]328[/image]

[image]329[/image] [image]330[/image]

Fully welded ready to finish - $95 - free shipping in the lower 48.

These brackets have been successfully installed on dozens of Bumps, Dents, Galaxies, and even a '62 Mercury Monterey!

Please ask any questions below, email, or PM me.

Just send an email to tylerblankenship@yahoo.com , and I'll send you an invoice via paypal. I'll add tracking information to the paid invoice when it ships, easy as that!

Thanks!
Last edited by tylerb43 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ranchero50

Re: A/C Compressor bracket for FE - New Design

Post by Ranchero50 »

Tyler, great looking peice.

One question, do you have room for a diagonal brace for the rear mounts or somthing that would tie into the block back there? Seems that with everything hanging off that 3/8" plate you'll have a lot of flex with the belt tight, especially if your pulley is @3-4" away from the bracket (more leverage).

I just went through this with a Farmall H alternator conversion kit with a 3/8" mounting plate and it flexed horribly. With the belt barely tight it pulled the pullies out of alignment As a farmer fix I cut a 2x4 to cage between the bracket and the water pump to keep it from flexing.

Just trying to help your part succede,
Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

Jamie, thanks for your input. The rear mounts of the compressor are secured by the welded "arm". This arm is meant to resist the axial moment loads introduced by compressor torque. Meaning that under load, the rotational axis of the compressor stays parallel to the axis of the crankshaft.

Please note the spacers cut and installed over the bolts. This is important so you're "pinching" the mounting ears, not pulling them together. With the alternator installed and all the bolts torqued, this assembly is quite rigid. I guess I could sell it with all the spacers cut, but I figured you guys could save a little of my time and your money by covering that part yourselves. (I cut 3/8 iron pipe to length) :thup:
Last edited by tylerb43 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
44Bulldog

Post by 44Bulldog »

Sent PM.....

I would like to purchase the welded / unfinished model.......

Let me know
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

44Bulldog wrote:Sent PM.....

I would like to purchase the welded / unfinished model.......

Let me know

Thanks 44Bulldog! PM replied.
mrollings53
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrollings53 »

A couple of questions:

Does it share any belts with the alternator or power steering pump?

What size are the belts?

Is the spacer behind the alternator lower bolt still used? Is it the original size?

Is that an OE water pump or an aftermarket one? I ask because my milodon pump isn't lining up with my '74 alt/AC idler bracket.

Will any version of the upper alternator bracket work or just the one used? Mine has a joggle near the end that is attached to the water pump, shifting the alternator forward.

Does the lower bolt on the compressor go through both bosses or just the front one?

Is that compressor adaptable to the original A/C components (e.g. connections, hoses, refrigerant)? What is required to make it work, or a good source for this info?

Where do you get a four groove crank pulley?

Whats the part number for the alternator? It's mounting bolt distance seems like it is short compared to a stock 3G. Or, is modifying the upper bracket not necessary with this setup? (The stock factory air setup has the alternator hanging down; requiring the bracket to be lengthened.)

I think that's it for now. It's a good looking part. I would be very interested in this setup.
Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue
tybob81
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by tybob81 »

If this was Facebook I could just "like" this post, but since we don't have that function I must say that is a slick setup! Hope you sell a ton of them because it looks like a high quality piece.
1968 swb hydroboost, ididit tilt column, Saginaw p/s pump with F series serpentine, all led lights, Vintage Air and painless wiring. 393w, tko600. CV front suspension w/c5 calipers and gt500 rotors. Stock Flexomatic leaf springs with 01 CV 8.8, 3.90 gears and Auburn locker. Custom wood bed floor. Full frame off resto-mod.
44Bulldog

Post by 44Bulldog »

Thanks for the quick response.....

PM sent with Pay Pal info....
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

mrollings53 wrote:A couple of questions:

Does it share any belts with the alternator or power steering pump?
No, mine doesn't. It has it's own belt off the crank pulley.

What size are the belts?
There's quit a bit of adjustability, so you could easily measure and go to napa. I'll try to find the part number I came up with.

Is the spacer behind the alternator lower bolt still used? Is it the original size?
Yes, but it's shortened to compensate for the new bracket thickness.

Is that an OE water pump or an aftermarket one? I ask because my milodon pump isn't lining up with my '74 alt/AC idler bracket.
I have an OE water pump. This bracket replaces the original lower alternator bracket, and uses the same 2 bolt holes on the water pump.

Will any version of the upper alternator bracket work or just the one used? Mine has a joggle near the end that is attached to the water pump, shifting the alternator forward.
I haven't tried any other version of upper alternator bracket. I have several FE engines, and they're all identical to what's shown.

Does the lower bolt on the compressor go through both bosses or just the front one?
Just the front one.

Is that compressor adaptable to the original A/C components (e.g. connections, hoses, refrigerant)? What is required to make it work, or a good source for this info?
I guess I'd have to say Google is your best resource for researching a/c systems. My compressor uses R134a and applicable hoses and fittings.

Where do you get a four groove crank pulley?
I don't think you'll need a 4V pulley, as I said I'm only using 3 of my 4 grooves. I know CVF racing sells a 3V pulley if you can't find a Ford one.

Whats the part number for the alternator? It's mounting bolt distance seems like it is short compared to a stock 3G. Or, is modifying the upper bracket not necessary with this setup? (The stock factory air setup has the alternator hanging down; requiring the bracket to be lengthened.)
My alternator is a 130 Amp model, Ford 3G off of a '97 Taurus. It has been rebuilt and fitted with a V pulley. It's 7.0" between mounting bolts. My upper bracket is stock '69.

I think that's it for now. It's a good looking part. I would be very interested in this setup.
And that's more than a couple questions, bud. :D I hope I helped. :thup:
mrollings53
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by mrollings53 »

Thanks for the replies. I've got another question for you. Are you running a PCV on the driver side valve cover? And, do you have power brakes? Because, your valve covers don't mix well with the stock brake booster. My covers are positioned the same, and I'm still trying to figure out what to do for a breather with a built in valve that doesn't hit the edge of the booster. Or, if you have power brakes and already figured out what fits; what did you use?
Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue
abyars111
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by abyars111 »

Tyler, are you still making these brakets. Slick set up.

Has anyone installed one?
Anthony
1970 F250 Crew Cab 2wd 390/2v short bed
2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition
1955 Chevy 210 4dr Sedan
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: A/C Compressor bracket for FE - 11/25/13 Improved Design

Post by tylerb43 »

Hey guys,

I've made a design improvement to the bracket I thought you may be interested in. The rear mount now extends down and around the compressor body to pick up another mounting ear. And I designed a "X" connector between the front and rear mount. This makes a substantial improvement to the rigidity of the mount and addresses some inputs made by respected forum members. As previously design, these are water-jet cut out of 3/16" steel plate.

See below a few pictures on the bench and a couple mock installed on my motor. The bracket in the pictures isn't welded yet, it just fits together that tight.

Now obviously, I designed and made this for my engine, but I figured I'd offer it up to my fellow Fordification members in case they're struggling with the same challenge I was facing.

Thanks guys! :fr:

Last edited by tylerb43 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

thats sweet looking. Are you offering a complete ready to bolt on option as well?
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
abyars111
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by abyars111 »

Tyler, are you still selling these brackets either welded or not welded? I'd like to have one when I switch to the Sanden compressor.
Anthony
1970 F250 Crew Cab 2wd 390/2v short bed
2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition
1955 Chevy 210 4dr Sedan
tylerb43
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tylerb43 »

abyars111 wrote:Tyler, are you still selling these brackets either welded or not welded? I'd like to have one when I switch to the Sanden compressor.
Hey Anthony! Yes, I can still have these cut and shipped to you in the "you-weld-it" state. PM me if you'd like one. :thup: