Needing help with 390 pump to carb line routing

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Charlie67f100

Re: Needing help with 390 pump to carb line routing

Post by Charlie67f100 »

Yeah it's got a inline filter at the inlet at the carb gonna hopefully change it today if the weathers nice
Charlie67f100

Post by Charlie67f100 »

Well no blockage on the filter and lines have pressure but the bowls on the carb are not filling. What's left to check guys
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

If the bowls aren't filling check the float levels in the carb. Again, I'm not a Holley guy, but with my Edelbrock, that meant that I had to take the top off the carb (I don't think I had to remove the base from the intake). Edelbrock posted instructions for checking and adjusting the float levels on their web site.

It's also possible that the idle screws are turned in all the way, and not letting any gas flow. You could turn them all the way in, then back them out 1-1/2 turns. That's probably not where you want to leave them, but it's a good place to start. Whatever you do, don't get heavy-handed with the idle screws, or you'll damage them. You'll know when they bottom out.

The final check is the primer pump. Take off the air filter. Pump the throttle with your hand, while looking down the throttle intake. You should see a spray of gas. If you don't, you probably need to adjust or replace the pump. Again, you should find instructions on the Holley web site. But you'll only get a spray if there's gas in the bowls.

Any or all of these could be problems, but I suspect the floats. The idle screws adjust the idle circulation, and the pump is only going to affect the acceleration. The floats allow gas into the carb, and shut off the flow when the gas in the bowls reach a certain level. If the pump is pumping, then that would be my next suspect.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Charlie67f100

Post by Charlie67f100 »

Alright guys I got the truck running run smoothly no knocks or nothing but I have the oil idiot light on at all times first time she's been started in 20 years and she has a brand new 390 in her what do you think faulty wiring bad sending unit or what let me know what yall think I'm trying to get her squared away and thanks for all yalls help so far
Charlie67f100

Post by Charlie67f100 »

I got it fixed was a bad sending unit