low temp high oil pressure

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

low temp high oil pressure

Post by Kurt Combs »

A little history first. Several years back I swapped out my 360 for a 460. The 460 has a Performer intake which is aluminum. I just switched the IVR and the gas gauge works okay (shows 7/8 when actually full), but the oil indicates really high and the temperature is really low. This is the way the gauges have worked for years, so nothing new. I am fine with the gas gauge only indicating 7/8 when full, but the temperature hardly moving is not cool, no pun intended. I do know that the temperature gauge works because the thermostat stuck awhile back and it peaked in the high direction. (Cost me a tow home) So any ideas, experiences with low temperature gauges causes, like wrong sending unit or????
Kurt
1972 F-250
lamogo33

Re: low temp high oil pressure

Post by lamogo33 »

I'd first throw a manual gauge on there to ensure the truck is actually getting up to operating temp. If the truck got hot and the gauge peaked, sounds like it is working to me. You can also check the oil pressure with a manual unit too. I work on a lot of cars and am always dragging things out of fields so I keep a set of manual gauges on the shelf to verify electric gauges.

I've heard stories from the old'n days where used cars salesman would hook a oil sensor's voltage wire to the alternator to trick the buyer into thinking it had good oil pressure when it was running... yikes :eek:
1928 Model A Sedan
1952 Ford Tudor Sedan (Mainline)*
1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB w/a 454*

* = Daily Driver
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Kurt Combs »

Thanks for the post. You could be right, truck has heavy duty radiator that would keep it cool under most conditions if thermostat isn't working correctly. I am going to drive it 150 miles today to fetch some firewood. I will be coming home with full load up a steep winding hill, so that should make the gauge move if it is running cold.
Kurt
1972 F-250
lamogo33

Post by lamogo33 »

Kurt Combs wrote:Thanks for the post. You could be right, truck has heavy duty radiator that would keep it cool under most conditions if thermostat isn't working correctly. I am going to drive it 150 miles today to fetch some firewood. I will be coming home with full load up a steep winding hill, so that should make the gauge move if it is running cold.
What'd ya figure out?
1928 Model A Sedan
1952 Ford Tudor Sedan (Mainline)*
1992 Chevy K1500 ECSB w/a 454*

* = Daily Driver
Kurt Combs
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Kurt Combs »

No solution at this time. I don't think it is running cold, has new thermostat and temp was the same with the old one. Either the fuel gauge is bad or.... bad sending unit, or connection, or? I am hoping someone has had a similar problem and will join the discussion.
Kurt
1972 F-250