Recommendations for Torque Converter?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Recommendations for Torque Converter?

Post by colnago »

I just finished the rebuild on a Ford C6 transmission. I'm hoping to finish the engine this next month. I'm looking at getting a new/rebuilt torque converter for tying everything together. This will just be a daily driver, and for the occasional dump run. I don’t need anything for the strip, or for towing extreme loads The flex plate is new-ish, so I will re-use this. Also, the engine has an RV cam.. Does anyone have any recommendations for a vanilla torque converter?

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
DuckRyder

Re: Recommendations for Torque Converter?

Post by DuckRyder »

If you can get a local trans shop to reman yours that would be fine.

Is this for an FE?

Hughes maybe...

Edit: ah I see 352 FE, Gear ratio? Cam Specs? Tire Size? Cruise RPM @ 60MPH?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Gear ratio: 4.11, but I hope to change to 3.54

Cam specs: I would have to check. An RV cam, so I won't be burning donuts at the strip.

Tire size: 245/75R16

Cruise RPM: high, because of the gear ratio.

Sorry, very generic answers. As you suggested, I could probably reuse my current TC, but I figured it would be easier to buy new/reman. I'll have to call around, and see what local options I have.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Stock replacement converter from a local rebuilder would probably be best.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Is broader still in business?

Edit: Yep http://www.broaderperformance.com/

If you can’t get it done locally talk to them...
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Cam and converter work together. With a mild cam as an RV you will be just fine with a stock converter. stock converters stall out 1200 ish which will be just fine for a mild cam. :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Manny wrote:Cam and converter work together. With a mild cam as an RV you will be just fine with a stock converter. stock converters stall out 1200 ish which will be just fine for a mild cam.
I've done a bit of reading on the 'net (always a dangerous thing). I can:

1. Get a "stock" replacement at AutoZone/O'Reilly/NAPA, but everyone says they're all junk.

2. Get a Hughes or TCI "fuel miser" that locks up at 1000 - 1200.

3. Get a Hughes or TCI "towing" that locks up at 1600 - 2000.

4. Get a "Street" that locks up at 2000 - 2400.

This will be a daily driver, occasional towing. No track or street strutting. :help:

Joseph
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The Stock converter for an FE stalls higher than typical for an stock converter 1600/1800 IIRC.

My truck has an ATI Fuelmaster (I don’t think they make it anymore) and a pretty good sized cam it works fine together because the over all engine build makes very good power low.

If you could get a quality stock converter that would be fine. I’d probably stay away from TCI I’ve had 2 and wasn’t impressed.

Seriously give Jay @ broader a call.
Robert

Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

DuckRyder wrote:The Stock converter for an FE stalls higher than typical for an stock converter 1600/1800 IIRC.
:? You probably got that better than me! Thinking 302 numbers there. I am spoiled having transmission parts unlimited right here by the house. They build converters and sell all types. One thing that hit me is if you know your cam specs call up comp cams or crane to discuss with them. As the cam and converter works together if you tell them weight gear ratio tire size and such with all the info they can give you an idea what converter might be best. I can tell you i am a fan of tci and have had good luck with them. The 84 bronco has a tci towing converter in it. Works well but the 35's and 3.55 gears are hurting it. Get on the horn with TCI or comp and see if they can give you some input. :thup:
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Manny wrote:
DuckRyder wrote:One thing that hit me is if you know your cam specs call up comp cams or crane to discuss with them. As the cam and converter works together if you tell them weight gear ratio tire size and such with all the info they can give you an idea what converter might be best
That sounds like a great idea. I hesitate to contact Broader, not because they don’t know what they're doing, but because their prices are out of my range (yes, I checked). I hate to waste their time, knowing that I can't afford their product. But if I've already bought/installed a cam, then I've already paid for their expertise. :thup:

Joseph
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Well broader does not know you can't afford it yet!!! :lol: Anybodys tech line summit,tci, comp. anybody can help ya get it right. Multiple opinions never hurt. :thup:
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

I've been banging on my Dacco converter in my '70 Cougar since '97 with zero issues. It's a 300 stall (too high for you) for my C6 and 400+ horsepower. They make everything from mild to wild. Dacco came suggested to me by a local perform and trans builder and a mud bogger that tortures his equipment.