Westcoast mirror questions

Moderator: FORDification

71mishmash

Westcoast mirror questions

Post by 71mishmash »

Hey ya'll,
I am working on installing a set of westcoast mirrors on my 71. Currently I've been replacing the rusted hardware and polishing up the stainless, and in this process I'm seeing some sort of adhesive product on the mounting brackets. It's almost like plumbers putty but not as flexible. The question I have is; do I need to obtain what ever that stuff is to mount these for noise or rust prevention? What ever it is was strong enough to pull paint off the previous truck and from what it looks like these mirrors were factory mounted.
While I'm here I am also seeing that the rubber lining between the mirrors and frame is cracking, does anyone know of a replacement set I could purchase or is this one of those DIY kinda deals?
I appreciate your time to answer these questions.
Respectfully,
Sean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Westcoast mirror questions

Post by cep62 »

Welcome to the site. :wel:
try this.
http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/a ... 020&rt=rud

if you don't want a whole box ,stop by a "good" body shop they should have some.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

My mirrors had plastic pads between the frame feet and the door skin. I have two different sizes, because the feet are different sizes (and so are the distances between the mounting screws). The PO wasn't using the West Coast mirrors, so he didn't have all of the pads. For the time being, I'm just using some pads that I cut from gasket material. I've looked at the various vendor sites, and haven't seen any kind of replacement, so when I get down to working on the body, I'll probably get some black sheet plastic and cut some myself.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
71mishmash

Post by 71mishmash »

Colnago, cep62; guys thank you!
I did consider the gasket method but was not finding something that would seal like I wanted. I didn't spend a ton of time looking in this direction as I was trying to find the OEM stuff. I also looked at the strip caulk but found that in using it in other areas it is messy, tends to leave a residue and collects stuff over time when exposed. I ended up going with some 3M VHB Tape from amazon. It's somewhat like the original tape just not as thick and I doubt it'll last 49 years...it'll be there until I blow apart the truck to do the body work down the road.
I did my install today and applied the tape to the mirror mounts first before applying them to the truck. They stuck pretty well and it seems pretty strong (tried pulling the mounts off gently at first then with a little more force) The tape held very well. You can see it in this pic as it kind of squished out a bit once I tightened the hardware.
I did use the strip caulk on the bolts that mount in the middle portion of the door skin to keep any water from entering.
Here is another pic of the finished mounting. These mirrors are so much better than the tripod ones that were on the truck, are usable and I can adjust them much better than the other silly set. I now have some holes in the door to fix but when I do the body work not a hard fix.
Again, thanks for the advice and your input!!
Sean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.