Medium length bed?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Medium length bed?

Post by WhitsEnd »

My daughter's 1970 is a long bed. I love the utility and I don't mind the look at all. However, she'll start driving it to school next year and that long wheelbase won't be fun in the crammed parking lot. In addition, I'll be dropping it it this fall with a Crown Vic front end and a minor C notch of the rear rails. Once dropped, the length looks a little funny, in my opinion.
HOWEVER...I also think the shortbeds look too short. They look artificially short and toy-like to me.

So, has anyone ever made a MEDIUM bed? Or any suggestions? I'm wondering what removing just 12" from the front of the bed would look like (instead of 16.2"), leaving the rear as-is.
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
:thup: project link: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=83642
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: Medium length bed?

Post by WhitsEnd »

I found a side view photo of some typical bumpside longbed and mocked up comparable shortened versions.
TOP: longbed
MIDDLE: 12" removed forward of wheel opening
BOTTOM: shortbed dimensions

Now I'm even further convinced that the 12" mod is the way to go. I think it looks very natural. The longer I look at it, the more each of the other two look wrong.
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

I like that shortened bed a LOT.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
71Fe2O3

Post by 71Fe2O3 »

That does look nice, but you are talking about a ton of work, cutting and welding the bed and frame, shortening the driveshaft, brake lines and emergency brake cables, wires, and probably some other stuff that is not coming to mind. I'm happy to just keep mine rolling, chip away at a list of "issues" that all take longer to repair and cost more money than I think they will, and try to stay a step ahead of the rust.
Fred

1970 F100 4WD short bed, 360 engine, very rusty plow and yard truck

1971 F100 2WD long bed, 302 engine, on the road

1968 F100 2WD long bed, 360 engine, stripping for parts
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I say if you have the time and talent and are committed to finishing it go for it......... :thup: I like the look - and you would have a lot of people scratching their heads trying to figure it out....that's the best part.. 8)
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

71Fe2O3 wrote:That does look nice, but you are talking about a ton of work, cutting and welding the bed and frame, shortening the driveshaft, brake lines and emergency brake cables, wires, and probably some other stuff that is not coming to mind. I'm happy to just keep mine rolling, chip away at a list of "issues" that all take longer to repair and cost more money than I think they will, and try to stay a step ahead of the rust.
This is the only project I have going and the truck is exceptionally clean. I have tools, so I don't think it's that big of a deal and I believe the results will be well worth the effort. The balance of utility and driveability will be the best of both worlds, in my opinion.
The effort is substantially less than a full shortbed that would require two sections being removed, but that's not why I'm doing it. I think it simply looks better than either the long or short bed versions. List of changes includes:

1.12"of frame section removed in a step pattern with reinforcing plates and subsequent boxing. This will be directly behind the cab, where the frames is straight.
2. Driveshaft shortening. Local driveshaft shop can cut, weld and balance in about 30 minutes.
3. Wiring...I'll add a plug while I'm shortening so future bed removal will be easier and I can add a set of magnetic tow lights while the bed is at paint (future aspirations).
4. E brake extensions will be removed and the adjustment rod will be lengthened about 4"...easy.
5. Hard brake line shortened. This will be easy, as I installed all new lines last year and have a nice Eastwood flaring tool.
6. Exhaust. This isn't a big job, but may be as easy as replacing the muffler, which is currently a massively long cherry bomb style and is located right at the section to be removed. I could easily install a conventional muffler that is 12" shorter. Reality is I'm likely going to a dual exhaust setup anyway, so timing that with the bed shortening would be wisest.
7. Sectioning the bed itself. 12" directly behind the front stake pocket and between the two forward cross supports under the deck. Cut, align and clamp and slowly tack back together to minimize heat.

Am I forgetting anything?
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

>>Am I forgetting anything?>>

Beer.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

I like it.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
jamesdfo

Post by jamesdfo »

The lads that do the Youtube show Hot Rod Garage took a Slick (1966 F100) LWB, and dropped the tin on a Crown Vic Chassis.

Just like a Bunpside, normally to convert a LWB box to SWB requires shortening the box both in front of and behind the axle, and although they seem to have neglected mention of the shortening of the box, from the vids you can tell that they only shortened it in front of the wheels, and it actually looks alright!

LWB Slick is 129", Crown Vic is 114.5, so unless they took a bit more or a bit less to move the wheel in the wheel opening, box should have been trimmed 14.5" in front of the wheels......

Anyways, yah, I think it looks alright, and saves some bodywork to boot:)

James

Hot Rod Garage Ep. 49: Ford Truck / Cop Car Body Swap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDy8c_nICl8

Hot Rod Garage Ep. 49: Ford Truck / Cop Car Body Swap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX1mjS7Gjys

Hot Rod Garage Ep. 53: The Crown Hick Gets Supercharged V-8 Power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXECvwd9TvY
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

In the video they actually confirm a 14" section was removed. I too think it looks good. Very "natural".

Taking some measurements, a 12" cut will leave about equal real estate of bedside in front of and behind the wheel well. The bed itself will still be over 7' long, keeping it very practical. My plans include a roll-up tonneau cover, so that will likely be custom.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good electrical connector for the tail lights? For all I know, there's a factory connector already there, but haven't noticed.
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
Lone Ranger
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Lone Ranger »

I love it. It does look the most "right" out of the three pictures. Plus your making it your own! There's a guy on here with YouTube videos he does Nathan's garage. He does crown Vic stuff and chops his beds. Worth a watch he's talented. Good luck I'll be watching! :pop:
1972 f100 4x4 4 inch lift with dump box kit-sold
1969 f250 4x4 highboy in progress.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=85251
Kyle
WhitsEnd
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by WhitsEnd »

Lone Ranger wrote:I love it. It does look the most "right" out of the three pictures. Plus your making it your own! There's a guy on here with YouTube videos he does Nathan's garage. He does crown Vic stuff and chops his beds. Worth a watch he's talented. Good luck I'll be watching! :pop:

"Talented"? Well, he does some cool stuff, but I think lack of planning generally bites him in the ass.

Looking into this further, I don't know why the single 12" section hasn't been done more. Other than the Hot Rod video, I can't find any others. If a lwb is going to be shortened, all the options are on the table, in my opinion.

ITS SETTLED...12" SECTION ONLY :thup:
8) 1970 F100 Ranger 2WD
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:... and you would have a lot of people scratching their heads trying to figure it out ...
I remember a few years back, someone had converted a Ford Bronco to a Ford Bump-o, and was selling it on Craigslist. It looked really cool, and I'm sure he got a LOT of double-takes! Got me thinking about taking a Bump crew cab, and turning it into an Excursion. I'd hate to do that to a crew cab, though. 'Sides, it would cost a fortune.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.