Engine "Fluttering"?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Engine "Fluttering"?

Post by colnago »

I'm still breaking in my 352 rebuild, but it just started an unexpected noise the other day. The best way to describe it is as a rapid fluttering, more pronounced when warm. Kind of like the baseball card in your bicycle spokes (c'mon, we all did it, trying to sound like a motorcycle), but not hard enough to be a tap. It seems to increase with engine RPM, and more on the driver side than on the passenger.

Looking on the net, a lot of people say a fluttering sound could be an exhaust leak. I checked the nuts from the manifold to the exhaust pipe. They seemed to be snug, but not "gorilla tight." I snugged them up some more, but couldn't tell if anything changed. I haven't checked the heads to exhaust manifold yet.

Another possibility mentioned was bad spark plugs, but these were new with the rebuild. It's kinda doubtful, but possible, I suppose. I did upgrade to Duraspark ignition.

So, do either of these sound likely? Is there anything else I should check?

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
DuckRyder

Re: Engine "Fluttering"?

Post by DuckRyder »

Might be worth checking the plugs for tightness...

I assume it is definitely coming from the engine itself and not down stream exhaust like a Y pipe or muffler?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Might be a long shot but it happened to me once - got a new spark plug that wasn't sealing where the ceramic meets the metal base and it made a strange noise........
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

DuckRyder wrote:Might be worth checking the plugs for tightness...

I assume it is definitely coming from the engine itself and not down stream exhaust like a Y pipe or muffler?

Yep had one dang near blow out of the bronco don't ask how it was loose. :hmm:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Well, it wasn't a plug. They were all snug. I didn't have the time to check all of the bolts for the exhaust manifold; hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

Did you use your previous 2 barrel carb? My guess is that your carb has an internal vacuum leak where only 1/2 your engine gets fuel at certain speeds hence the flutter. Been there, done that. And depending on the age of your carb a new carb kit can usually fix it. :)
Ren

Post by Ren »

Maybe a small piece of something caught in the fan blade or shroud?
And I can't believe you bothered rebuilding a 352.
Surprised you didn't hear a "fluttering" sound when all that money flew out of yer wallet for the rebuild.

Good luck, though. And I do enjoy reading your posts as I often learn something.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

colnago wrote:Well, it wasn't a plug. They were all snug. I didn't have the time to check all of the bolts for the exhaust manifold; hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

Joseph
Hope fully you find something simple!! :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

fastEdsel wrote:Did you use your previous 2 barrel carb? My guess is that your carb has an internal vacuum leak where only 1/2 your engine gets fuel at certain speeds hence the flutter. Been there, done that. And depending on the age of your carb a new carb kit can usually fix it. :)
I did use the previous 4BBL Edelbrock carb. I was thinking it needed a rebuild anyway, just cuz the rebuild is nice 'n shiny, and the carb isn't.
Ren wrote:Maybe a small piece of something caught in the fan blade or shroud?
And I can't believe you bothered rebuilding a 352. Surprised you didn't hear a "fluttering" sound when all that money flew out of yer wallet for the rebuild.
Actually, it's bored over 0.030, so it's really a 357! Now I have one on my hip (Smith & Wesson), and one in the driveway (Ford)! I kept it a 352, just to see people's expressions when I say "352;" they want it so hard to be a 351! As far as the money leaving my wallet, that was more of a "whoosh!" My wife and I had a really good policy on that; don't ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies. :lol:

Joseph