gears & gas

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

ford71

gears & gas

Post by ford71 »

I have an f100 with a 360 and a 4 bbl. It has a ford 3 speed manual and a 3.00:1 gear ratio in the rear end. Does anyone know what gears would get me the best fuel economy? I get about 10 mpg now (up to 15 if i'm REAL easy on the accelorator) and was just curious as to what was possible. Also, if I went with 3.73's what could I expect in terms of fuel economy and top speed?
steveheer

re: gears & gas

Post by steveheer »

Worse :lol:

Generally the taller the gear meaning numerically the smallest the better the economy. Tire diameter has a lot to do with it too. 3 to 1 in a truck is very tall but it can lumber along at freeway speeds without working--or turning many RPM's. You would probably like the acceleration of the 3.73's--but not the economy.

I would think 15 mpg even with taking it easy is darn good!

JMO
Steve
69 F100 300I6
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci
72 Gran Torino Sport 351W
91 Bronco 351
Leadfoot
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Leadfoot »

It all depends on the type of driving you do. go and stop city driving around 3.50:1 works best. but if you do lots of highway driving 3.23:1 or less is best. with a auto trans/ 3spd stick.

Now with that said if you are worried about fuel economy, my shop is just starting to get in to T-5 conv. for all cars and P/U. almost every engine & configuration will be available shortly.
on a rebuilt stocker T-5 can handle about 325 feet of torque, and are performance/race model rebuilt T-5 can take over 500 feet of torque, although its costly to begin with it will save money down the road.
you could build your self a T5 conversion including trans for around 1500 or less including clutch & everything.
WHAT ?
Badgt04

Post by Badgt04 »

You are going to get the best gas mileage just leaving it as it is!

I think my FE is getting about 6mpg hahaha
1973 Ford F-100
ford71

Post by ford71 »

I'm not too worried about milage, I just wondered what lower gears would do and if any one particular lower ratio would be best on fuel. I think I'm going to go with 3.73's. Thanks

My truck got 6-7 mpg before I switched over to an edelbrock 600 cfm 4 bbl, I could'nt be happier with that modification. All the added power and increased gas mileage. now I generally get 10; but like i said earlier, up to 15 if a take it easy( NO burnouts or fast acceleration and if I keep it i 3rd most of the time.)