Throwout bearing?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

wulfage

Throwout bearing?

Post by wulfage »

Recently went and started up my 72 f250, and upon pushing the clutch in so I could go to work, there was an ungodly crunch, and then a loud rattling noise which seemed to be coming from the tranny. The clutch is slack, it goes all the way to the floorboards and there is what appears to be a ball bearing in the little hole of the inspection plate. my friend says it could be the throwout bearing. But I can't even find a picture of the thing, in any diagram or manual or exploded view. Is that the actual name for this part? if not, what is it, and if it is, could someone explain, or preferably, show me where and what it is? maybe it's the dyslexia kickin in, but I can't find this thing anywhere. And does it sound like that could be what's wrong?
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Throwout bearing?

Post by jor »

Here's a photo of what it looks like in there. I put some arrows as follows:
Yellow: Bell Housing
Green: Throw Out Bearing
Red: Transmission Input Shaft
Blue: Pressure Plate (attached to the flywheel)

I'm not sure what that ball bearing would be. It sounds as though your linkage may have busted somewhere - maybe at the pivot point of the throw out bearing lever.
jor
boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by boots »

I have the same sound, its the throughout bearing, but I also think my trans is going.
Ethan

67 f100 - 4"lift - cut fenders - 36 TSL's
390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 835#136835

69 f100- Parts truck
wulfage

Post by wulfage »

Hey jor, thanks for the info and the picture, it makes it so much easier when I know what I'm looking at. Tore the old girl apart today, and sure enough the throwout bearing had pretty much exploded. With some help from a friend, we were able to get the pieces off and the new one on within a couple hours. Thanks for all the help everyone! Sure is great to be mobile again!
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Glad to be of help. I've never heard of a throw out bearing coming apart like that. Usually, they just start making noise. Post some photos if you get a chance.
jor