Need help with ignition and alternator wiring.

Electrical and Wiring Forum Archives
ford_racer

Need help with ignition and alternator wiring.

Post by ford_racer »

Hello all. I am finishing the rebuild on the 360 in my 72 F100. Right now I am at the ignition and general rewiring part of the installation. For my ignition setup, I have the Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition conversion and the Pertronix Flamethrower 40k volt coil. I am not an electronics expert (the only thing I know about electronics is that electricity is involved, that's how limited my knowledge is) and I have NOOOOO idea on how to wire up my coil and what not. I have the red wire connected to the positive side of the coil, and the black wire connected to the negative side of the coil (OK, I do know the red/black pos/neg correlation), and I believe that is how it is supposed to go unless I missed something. I would love some DETAILED instructions on how to set all this up

I know there are 3 wires (red, brown, and a red/brown) with the little connecting boots on the end, but I don't know where they go to. I don't know if the red one goes to the coil, red/brown to water temp, and brown to oil pressure or what. Once again, I would appreciate some instructions on where all these go.

The last dilemma I have is with the alternator. I have no clue on how to hook this up. There is a little orange connector dealy that I think connects to the alternator somehow, but I don't know exactly how. There are two places that are orange that it could hook up to, one with a nut and one without. There is also what appears to be a ground that I need to hook up to something. Do I need to hook this up to the block or what? Again, I would absolutely love some detailed instructions on this.

That's all for my wiring dilemma. I would appreciate any help on this. If there is a previous thread, please provide a link. I searched but could not find anything on this. If there is a faq to this, please link me to that as well.

Thank you VERY much. With your help I hope to get this thing running soon!
Ford: Giving the Heartbeat of America cardiac arrest.
binder56jd
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: Need help with ignition and alternator wiring.

Post by binder56jd »

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here" — Jack Nicholson, As Good As it Gets

now serving #235

"the only way to believe in the American dream is to be asleep"--GC

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct. - Benjamin Disraeli
ford_racer

Post by ford_racer »

Thank you, but I've already looked at that.

Like I said, I know little about electronics and wiring and what not, so schematics do nothing for me. I know how to read them and what not, but when it comes to the real life application, nothing works like it does in the schematic.

Thanks again though.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Hi! I can help you out with the alternator, here's a couple scans below to cover them all.

The wire colors sound funny, should be Red/Green stripe to the coil, Red/White stripe to the temp. sender and White/Red stripe to the oil pressure.

Didn't your Pertronix come with instructions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
ford_racer

Post by ford_racer »

Thanks! I'll have to wire all that when I get done with dinner.

About the Pertronix thing. We tested it out yesterday, and it seems like the coil is firing, but not as much as the coil on my dad's racecar. The spark has the same amount of energy (based on looking at the size of it when grounding it against the block) but doesn't fire nearly as quick.

Do you think I should readjust the gap between the module in the distributor and the rotor thing next to it?

Edit: Forgot to mention I had the instructions to it, but lost them.
390Nut
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 390Nut »

Paul
`69 F100 390 4spd driver
http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10251
Dura-Spark II Conversion info at:
http://home.comcast.net/~390nut/Dura-SparkII.htm

Pipes71 did once say, "bumps and bikes.. what a great combo!" :thup:
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Thanks Paul!

I've done some analysis on the Ignitor system and for us Ford owners the best way to wire it up imo is run the coil wire to the Flamethrower (it's compatable) but run a separate +12 volt wire to the Ignitor, don't run it off the coil +. Get the +12 volts off the ignition switch. If your truck had the throttle positioner, tap into the blue wire feeding it. Also if your truck has the stock ammeter, there is another wire going to the regulator that you could tap into.

Remember don't leave the key on with the engine not running, you'll burn out the Ignitor.
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
ford_racer

Post by ford_racer »

I'll keep all that in mind. Me and my friend are gonna replace it with points just to see if the thing starts, then figure out how to make the Pertronix thing work.

And I would use that pdf but I don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader!!! Thanks though.

Thanks a lot guys, this is helping a lot!
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com