A/C, the Cool subject.

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: A/C, the Cool subject.

Post by ToughOldFord »

That's a good point, I'll be looking at trucks with A/C and fan clutches then. Maybe even have better luck with the later 70's Fords.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

I had A/C for about 30 minutes today. :o Got the truck all back together and charged the system. Temp probe was showing 50 degrees and the fan was blowing well. Drove into town, got a whole 6.5 gallons of gas for my $20 and all my freon leaked out. (I know, no correlation, I just threw that in there.) And not from any of the 37 year old truck parts, noooooo, from the two new brass fitting I used to make my adapter. Whoever said you don't need to seal the threads on brass fittings lied and cost me $24 in lost freon. :x :x :x
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

TOF, First off I'm glad it wasn't me said you don't need to seal brass fittings on a refrigeration system. Sorry it leaked out but when you have the leaks repaired just use a thick soapy water ( 50/50) to leak check everything. Now on a lighter note, wasn't that 30 min. wonderfull :lol:
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Yep, a real cool 30 minutes, but at nearly a dollar a minute it could be pretty pricy to cool that truck. :$$: :$$: :$$:

I did do the soapy water bit when I first charged it, but I was more focused on the old fittings and connections, especially the ones I disturbed with the install. Also, it looks like it didn't bubble up at the new fitting, it was pushing out the oil first. That's how I ended up finding the leak, I sacrificed another can of freon and found the oil dripping at the bottom.
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

Are you using real R12? 50 degrees is a little hot from what I understand. I think it is supposed to be between 35 and 45F if it is working right. If you are using anything other than R12, then the original condensor isn't as effecient as it needs to be. You might want to pick up a bigger one to try and bring that temp down.

thanks
Austin
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

It's R134, can't buy R12 anymore. :(

The instructions I have say that 48 to 60 degrees is considered norm. Feels plenty cold to me anyway, so I'm happy with the temp, the key's going to be getting it to keep it's freon. 8)
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

TOF,

Did you use a R134 conversion kit? I'm not sure how well you compressor is going to work long term if it was originally designed for R12. I'm not sure clamped lines are going to hold R134 long term either. R134 usualy takes a different line than R12, and different fittings. You might only have to refill w/ R134 every summer so that wouldn't be too bad, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware. I'm trying to find a tool so I can make my own lines. Then I'm going to get a big condensor, new R134 compressor, and hook everything up w/ the new lines that I make.
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

You can still buy R12. Any one with a cfc license that is. It is just cost prohibitive.
R12 compressors work fine with R134A if you change the oil in them.
R12 condensers coils work with R134A but like dablack stated the R134A cond. are a little larger
.The R12 fixed orfice metering device or txv works fine for R12, R134A or freeze 12
The temp coming out the vents is not an indicater of a well charged system. The best way to charge one is the weigh in method but few of us at home has the equipment to do this. Charge a R12 or R134A system to 32deg. at fast idle. R12@32deg. is about 32# of suction pressure on a R12 gauge and R134A@32deg. is about 35# on a R134A gauge
Most of the time the split on a R12 or R134A system will be about 50Deg. For TOF to have a 50deg. leaving temp then it must have been 100+ plus in his truck. jmo
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Yes, I meant average American citizen's can't buy it anymore. :evil:
I've had good luck with converting R-12's over to R134 so far, knock on simulated wood. The first time I did it was when I bought my '84 F-250, the A/C was dead. The clutch was fried and there was no freon at all. I was eyeing those conversion kits and some nay-sayers tried to discourage me, but I figured I had nothing to loose since the system was dead already. I replaced the clutch and bought the kit. I didn't have to touch the system until six years later, I put in one more can of freon right before I sold the truck. Can't complain about that.
Obviously there's no need to keep buying kits, once you have the hose all you need are the fittings, oil, and freon.
I left the temp probe in the vent after I shut the truck off, it went to 110 rather quickly, it is a bit warm in there!
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

TOF, I converted my 88BroncoII from R12 to Freeze12. It was readily available at the time. Changed the comp. oil and threw in the freeze12. Worked great for 5 or 6 years and leaked out. I repaired the leak and couldnt find freeze12 so I read up and R134A uses the same comp oil so I drew a vacum on it all night and put the R134A in it. That worked good for several years and it has developed a 2 can a year leak. I told my friend this when I sold it to him. He priced a new hose for it but he just brings me a can every spring and fall to put in it for him :lol
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

Great info guys. I have no real experience, just what I have read. I'm still going to try and get my hands on some R12. I think Dad has some in the garage stashed away somewhere. I think it is time to raid the stash!
CJ,s 67 F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 »

dablack, Good luck and don't get caught. The last 30# can we purchased would put that in the felony category :lol: My brother in-law gave me some of the 1# cans he had stashed 5 or 6 yrears ago. They still had the .96cent sticker on them.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Heh, it's been a year since I started this thread, but I can finally report success. During one of my many wrecking yard visits I finally found the proper piece to allow the screw on type of hose onto the top of my compressor:

Got a new o-ring from Napa and removed my home made adapter and installed the new piece. I bought a vacuum pump and used my new manifold set to properly evacuate and charge the system. The system held it's vacuum so no apparent leaks and it's been blowing cold for three days now. :woohoo:
dablack00
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by dablack00 »

I hate to say it, but you are now on my list. I need AC! I want AC! I should have AC!

Good job. Don't worry, I'm not a very good shot.

Austin
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

:wink: Just think of me as inspiration! :lol: