Front axle alignment 1966 F-100 4X4

4x4 & Off-road Forum Archives

Moderator: Doug Comer

Eric1966

Front axle alignment 1966 F-100 4X4

Post by Eric1966 »

I just removed, rebuilt, and replaced the front differential in my 66 4X4. I have the axle under the truck, the radius arms connected and the coil springs installed. But when I walk out in from of the truck and look at it, something does not look right. The drivers side spring is nice and vertical, but the right side goes up at an angle, and when I tried to hook up the track bar, it came up a little short, so i measured and the right side was almost 2 inches farther to the outside than the left from the frame rail. I hooked up a come-a-long and pulled on the left side steering knuckle until the track bar lined up, got it bolted on, thought this would solve the lateral alignment problem, but now when I measure, its 1 inch farther to the outside, on the "drivers side"! What am I doing wrong? Any help or ideas would be great! Thanks....Eric :cry:
Doug Comer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Front axle alignment 1966 F-100 4X4

Post by Doug Comer »

Have you changed to a disc brake axle? If I remember right the track bars on those are a different length. I think that one of suspension companies make an adjustable track bar. Good luck.
Eric1966

Post by Eric1966 »

no is stock axle with drums and a single track bar or sway bar that connects to the axle on the right side and to the frame on the left side. thanks
Doug Comer
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Doug Comer »

Do you have a lift or very wore out springs? If you are using the stock track bar with a lift or very sagging springs I would think that would pull the axle to one side. Doug
67highboy

Re: re: Front axle alignment 1966 F-100 4X4

Post by 67highboy »

Doug Comer wrote:Do you have a lift or very wore out springs? If you are using the stock track bar with a lift or very sagging springs I would think that would pull the axle to one side. Doug
That is very true if its not sitting at the stock ride height the track bar will be the wrong length causing the axle to sit offset.
1 inch will not hurt it, its not right but it wont hurt drivability. I have personally run like this for a short time

look at[www.broncograveyard.com] they sell adjustable track bars for these trucks that will solve the problem

John[/url]
People who are willing to give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety...

Ben Franklin 1775