flip front end?

Moderator: FORDification

72custom

flip front end?

Post by 72custom »

:? has any one done this to there old ford,chevy,dodge or any truck out there ..i would like to doa flip frontend on my 72 custom... help help :hmm:
1968F250LWB

re: flip front end?

Post by 1968F250LWB »

Is this the same type of flip kit guys use on the rear ends of their trucks (i.e. Putting the axle on top of the leaf springs) If so, wouldn't that only apply to solid front axle trucks?
Russell

"If you can't be kind, at last have the decency to be vague."

My Photo Gallery
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I think that he means a tilt fiberglass front end?
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

There is a fiberglass ttlt front end available and even a fiberglass cab but they are expensive. I used to have the site bookmarked but I lost it when I had a virus.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
1968F250LWB

Post by 1968F250LWB »

:eek: Ok I'm an idiot! Wasn't even thinking that way!
:stupid:
willowbilly3 wrote:There is a fiberglass ttlt front end available and even a fiberglass cab but they are expensive. I used to have the site bookmarked but I lost it when I had a virus.
Here ya go:
www.usbody.com
Careful lots of pop-ups on that site.
Russell

"If you can't be kind, at last have the decency to be vague."

My Photo Gallery
72custom

Post by 72custom »

well i want to use my stock front end ...
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Give us a little help here.

What exactly are you thinking? you want to weld teh existing sheetmetal together and make a flip front?
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

There was a '69 up on E-bay a while back with a tilt-front end. The owner had welded the stock metal pieces together, but the whole thing looked fairly crudely done. Unfortunately, there were no close-up shots of how the hinge was put together. However, I posted a few pics of it in a new album in the Photo Gallery. Click here to view the pics. Here's one just for the heck of it:

Also, check out this page for some closeups of a tilt front end of a '48 GMC pickup which might give you some ideas.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
72custom

Post by 72custom »

that is it ................ that is what i want to do to mine but i want mine neat.......i am a neat freak on my truck..... :yt:
jor
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by jor »

Wait a minute! This is crude??? It's looks really well done to me. What's crude about it?
jor
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

I saw a pix of a 54-55 ??? that had that done a couple of days ago. I guess it's kind of novel looking in a big rig sort of way, but to me, it looks like access to the engine is actually worse than with the regular hood. Well, unless you want to change the headers , plugs, or something....I bet changing the water pump or radiator is a special treat. :cry: I think I would actually prefer the normal hood in everyday use. MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I think its going to be pretty hard to pull off and have it look professional.

I just love his fan shroud.

But since all the wires are attached to the inner fenders, theres really no way to neaten up the wiring and heater hoses short of changing the routing to run inside of the frame rails.

I don't see a great cost benefit ratio for a street vehicle.
Robert

NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

Unless it was done real well, it might reduce the value of the truck to many buyers. "If he ever deciced to sell"..
Reminds me of many of the late 50's , early 60's ford cars. They liked to use the backwards hood. I know we once had a 57 ford wagon that had the backwards hood. I guess ford wanted to be different...I think they were on some models until maybe 61?? Or so . Not sure...I don't think the mechanics, dealers were too awful keen on them. You don't see em much now...
I remember that 57 ford wagon was the 2nd car we had after I was born.
I was born shuttled about in a 2 door 1954 Pontiac starchief. That was a neat car. Had a straight 8, and the little yellow indian that lit up on the hood. Had an electric eye to turn the brights on and off...I remember on long trips, the full moon peeking over the horizon used to fake it out, and trip it .. :lol: My dad eventually traded a small boat and the pontiac for the 57 ford wagon. I remember it was the first car we had that had A/C. But I also remember it didn't work half the time...That car was always having problems of one kind or the other as I remember...Pretty nice when it was running right though. MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Re: re: flip front end?

Post by FORDification »

jor wrote:Wait a minute! This is crude??? It's looks really well done to me. What's crude about it?
jor
Well, I guess I was noticing the maze of dangling wires and the slapped-toether radiator mount and shroud. I would have said "unfinished" if it was just the wires....they need to be lengthened and run down the frame rail, and the battery needs to come off the frame rail and mounted either on the firewall or in the back. Doesn't look good where it is now.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

That's got to be a pretty heavy tilt front end, ever carry a hood on your back for more than a few feet? Gotta have strong hinges and attaching points.

Also, what's the story on the front bumper? Looks like something off a Chebbie.